automatic thud from 10-5mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up automatic iX and there is a soft thud that sounds and feels like it is coming from the rear diff area or like being lightly rear ended when slowing down between 10 and 5 mph. It seems to be the downshift into second or first but I don't know how or why it would make that sort of clunk. There is no vibration or other noise on accel or decel or downshifting into any other gear so I don't think it is driveshaft of any mount/bushing related. Could it just be a premature downshift into first?

subframe/trailing arm bushings, flex disks, trans mount, etc. can all cause this.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If it were the trailing arm bushings or guibo, wouldn't there be more noise or vibration at more times that my isolated thump? I can possibly see that if the trans mounts are shot it could be most accentuated if the trans is prematurely shifting into first gear but then the bigger issue to me would be the premature shift.

Comment

All automatics thud from downshifting into first. Its the first thing I didn't miss from going 5-speed. As long as its not making any audible noise, and it's just the feel of the downshift, you are okay

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
          All automatics thud from downshifting into first. Its the first thing I didn't miss from going 5-speed. As long as its not making any audible noise, and it's just the feel of the downshift, you are okay
          Thank you. So there is no way to lessen the thud other than swapping in a fresher auto trans? My last auto did not noticeably thud but had 50k less miles on it. Could changing trans fluid help? Obviously I know nothing about auto transmissions.

Comment

I would assume so, I've never had an auto that didnt thud noticably, and that thud was just further motivation for a manual swap.

Fluids may help, but the change will be fairly minimal; the only way, which you've said yourself, is to swap for another automatic with lower miles and known to not have the thud issue.

At that point though, for the amount of work required, you might as well jus swap it to manual.

Comment

thanks. Can't swap to manual though, it is my wife's daily and she prefers auto. :( Is it just the torque convertor that I'd need to replace or the whole transmission?

Comment

At this point, I wouldn't know
                I'm more knowledgable in the land of Getrag 260s than automatics.

Just teach her how to drive manual lol :up:

Comment

At this point, I wouldn't know
                  I'm more knowledgable in the land of Getrag 260s than automatics.

Just teach her how to drive manual lol :up:
                  Ha, she grew up driving a manual in the flatlands of West Texas but out here in Pittsburgh she freaks out at every hilltop stop. I don't blame her, there a lot of ebrake or brake/gas modulation stops here and rolling backward into the idiot that pulled up 12" from your bumper can be stressful. This is why I had to get rid of the first manual iX I bought her, two iXes ago.

Comment

If you are looking for an auto iX tranny, I know of a guy that have some sitting ready to go to new homes. I'm not sure how many miles they have, but last I checked they looked pretty nice.

Same guy I picked up my 5-speed tranny swap from. I would recommend him in a heartbeat. LMK and I can send you his contacts if you want to swap transmissions. I know iX parts can be unicorns at times, so just shooting you a line to my connections if you need them

I would refresh the rear end with new rubber first beforehand, see if it helps at all.

Comment

If you are looking for an auto iX tranny, I know of a guy that have some sitting ready to go to new homes. I'm not sure how many miles they have, but last I checked they looked pretty nice.

Same guy I picked up my 5-speed tranny swap from. I would recommend him in a heartbeat. LMK and I can send you his contacts if you want to swap transmissions. I know iX parts can be unicorns at times, so just shooting you a line to my connections if you need them

I would refresh the rear end with new rubber first beforehand, see if it helps at all.
                      Thank you, I may be in touch about it but it isn't bad enough to warrant a swap yet, just seeing if there is a known quick fix. I am going to flush the fluid a couple times and see if that helps. Redline ATF the right stuff?

Comment

Valvoline max life high mileage is what I would use
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks. Just driving it around a lot has lessened the first gear downshift issue dramatically to where I'm not even noticing it any more. The previous owner hardly ever drove it so perhaps it just needed to be reminded of daily duties.

Comment

Had the exact same thing happen to my 89 325i. Mine was a bad tranny. Did a 5spd swap and all is well. To check to see if its your tranny not downshifting right. Try slowing down in a low gear where it wont need to shift
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Working...
                            X