X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Snazzy, but I'm not sure if anything is relevant to the E30 iX.

The left mount behind the left axle is something BMW has always done in their SUV's, apparently.

Also, the T-case is extremely compact.

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    We've got an N63 out of an E71 on the engine table getting warranty valve seals done. I don't know if any pictures of the front diff would be relevant to this thread but I took some:

He's going to be on it for a while, so I can grab more pictures if needed.

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    I looked into this awhile ago and zeroed my angle meter off the pinch weld like were the airbox sits and I believe the motor was 2-3 degree tilted back, I cant remember exactly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I don't doubt that... I guess BMW could have made the manifold level with the engine tilted. It would definitely be out of the ordinary for it to be level.

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    I mean I also measured it with my iPhone app that’s only accurate within 1 degree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Weird... because the driveshaft definitely comes out of the transmission higher than it goes into the diff... but I wouldn't have designed a system using a giubo with a static angle.

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    Yeah I was just out measuring it with my phone level app. It’s dead nuts at 0 degrees on the top of the manifold and valve cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    AFAIK it's not tilted at all. The bottom of the oil pan is essentially flush with the subframe.

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    Alright, i'll measure one of mine in a bit

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Not the left to to right tilt... the front front to back tilt. This will be an angle of 5 degrees or less.
    So yes, car would need to be on a level & flat surface. The top of the intake plenum would actually be a good reference for an angle finder.

I thought the M20 was 20 degrees leaned over and the 24V engines were 30 degrees.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    it's 15 degrees. that is well known. all 24v engines are 20 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    Actually..my phone has one built in. Should I measure with the car on a flat surface across the valve cover?

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    I found an eBay seller with both sides of both RWD and AWD mount arms for sale, so I grabbed all four.

Because of the right angle characteristic I noted above, it'll be SUPER easy to get the lateral and vertical relationship between the RWD and AWD mount locations from that one arm. It'll take a smidge more thought to get the longitudinal relationship, but I think that's readily doable as well.

Also, does anyone know how much the M20 powertrain is tilted front to back?
    I can measure both of mine. I don't have an angle finder--I could always grab one from harbor freight or amazon. Would there be a way to measure it otherwise?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I found an eBay seller with both sides of both RWD and AWD mount arms for sale, so I grabbed all four.

Because of the right angle characteristic I noted above, it'll be SUPER easy to get the lateral and vertical relationship between the RWD and AWD mount locations from that one arm. It'll take a smidge more thought to get the longitudinal relationship, but I think that's readily doable as well.

Also, does anyone know how much the M20 powertrain is tilted front to back?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Thanks! I may have to take you up on that.

I had a realization...
    The engine mount pads are tilted toward each other by 20 degrees from horizontal. The M20 is tilted over at 20 degrees. Thus the angle from the engine block mating surface to the engine mount mating surface on the left mount arm should be right at 90 degrees.

That makes it easy to spot check angles on the RWD left mount arm vs. FWD left mount arm. I guess I know enough to order some mount arms now...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X