Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alignment question and jerking when release gas

I just got my wheels aligned and here's the printout:
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

The rear looks pretty out of whack, and I was wondering if replacing the trailing arm/rear subframe bushings would help.

Also, it shakes quite a bit if I release the gas suddenly, especially at lower speeds, or if I go over a bump. If I release the gas slowly, it doesn't do it, so I was thinking there might be a bad engine mount, transmission mount, or rear subframe/trailing arm bushing. I'm leaning towards the rear subframe mount or trailing arm bushings.

I took a look at all of them, but I didn't see anything obviously broken, but I can't be sure because some aren't that easy to look at. Is there a good way to know if those two are bad? It looks like a bit of work to switch out without me knowing for sure.

Car seems to handle fine other than the weird jerking feeling when I release the gas quickly. There doesn't seem to be a floating of the rear end or any hesitation when I accelerate from being stopped.

Is it possible that there is some play in my drivetrain somewhere? How do I diagnose that?
    Last edited by ghatid; 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM.

If any rubber on the car is still original, it's long overdue for replacement anyway.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      If any rubber on the car is still original, it's long overdue for replacement anyway.
      Hmm, that is a good point.

Is there anything I'm missing?
      Rubbery parts to replace:
      Engine mounts
      Transmission mounts
      Trailing arm bushings
      Rear subframe bushings
      Guibos?
      Center support bracket (and bearing?)
      (I did the CA bushings)

Also, can you help rank them in order of the most likely culprit of the shaking when I release the gas pedal to least likely?

Comment

There's no CSB on an ix

diff bushing, swaybar links, rear shock mounts, inspect upper strut mounts (they last a long time, and they're expensive).

I'd think the engine/trans mounts would be most likely, but I'm not sure your issue is really with rubber or potentially something with the DME itself (bad TPS, AFM, etc).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          There's no CSB on an ix

diff bushing, swaybar links, rear shock mounts, inspect upper strut mounts (they last a long time, and they're expensive).

I'd think the engine/trans mounts would be most likely, but I'm not sure your issue is really with rubber or potentially something with the DME itself (bad TPS, AFM, etc).
          Thanks for the response. You're always giving out so much info.

I replaced the rear mounts and inspected the front strut mounts when I replaced the shocks/struts. I'll add the diff bushing and the swaybar links to the list.

I'm also not sure if there's something wrong with the DME...Also, the last time I checked, I had a cylinder with low compression, and the vacuum pressure read from the FPR is ~16-17 when cold an ~19 when warm. That might also be a culprit.

Comment

So I was driving around to see if I could figure out where the weirdness is coming from, and it seems that when I reverse and then use the handbrake to stop, the rear of the car rises up very noticeably. Does that help diagnose what the problem is?

*edit* Nevermind, this seems like it's normal for cars to do that...When the rear wheels are locked, the car is going to try to go over them so the car raises a bit...

Still need to figure out what's causing my car's weirdness. I've checked the AFR and TPR. I haven't switched out the DME but it was super duper clean when I opened it up and looked at it. (Someone had talked about cleaning it but there was nothing to clean).
            Last edited by ghatid; 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Shocks?
              [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
                Shocks?
                Just replaced all 4 shocks with Bilsteins. Also replaced the rear 2 mounts.

Comment

I had a similar jerk when letting off the throttle and it was the front control arms that was the culprit. It had a significant amt of play and that play transferred to the entire car. I had changed the engine mounts first thinking that was the issue, but mine was suspension related
                  www.instagram.com/snwmble
                  #snwmble

Current:
                  '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                  '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                  '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                  '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                  '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                  '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                  '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                  '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Is your car lowered? You have a lot more camber on the left rear than the right rear.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      Is your car lowered? You have a lot more camber on the left rear than the right rear.
                      Nope, the car isn't lowered. It's not adjustable, right? How do I fix that?

@Audioquattrot I just replaced the ball joints and bushings on the control arms in the front.

Comment

Working...
                      X