cheapest place to buy shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheapest place to buy shocks?

I was going to purchase some custom coil overs I had planned for my project.. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford them as planned so I'll be riding on some h+r, and looking into a set of bilstein HD. Turner sells the set of 4, but they seem a little pricey?

Considering the combo of sport rears with HD fronts also? Is this a good idea? I feel I've read it somewhere.. I know nothing about the valving. Sometime mid summer I'll be back into a custom job for this.. I just want a practical solution that will hold up for the next 6 months of fun, and won't kill me in when auto crossing.

bavauto
    i bought the bilstein fronts sport shocks only for 270ish everyone else wanted 300+

Comment

you will want to cut the bump stops of the front struts by at least 1-2 notches. it's inside the cartridge so you have to pop the cap off the end to get it out. otherwise you'll be on the bump stops 99% of the time.

is there any budget for konis? you could at least re-use the rears and get the koni race inserts for the front later.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks nando, knew about the bump stops.. I'm thinking I'll just buy HD Fronts and look to use a set of sports I have for the rears, are there any drawbacks to this combo at all?

Comment

it might be OK short term. the ride might not be very great, but if it's basically temporary it's probably a better choice in the long-run as you can re-use the Konis with whatever you do up front (I recommend the Koni Race inserts that AWDBOB used).

the IX HD front inserts are actually popular with RWD E30s for coilover conversions since they're already ~3" shorter than RWD inserts, so you should be able to sell them fairly easily.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i bought mine a couple yrs ago from thepartsbin, now called partstrain.com

www.instagram.com/snwmble
            #snwmble

Current:
            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

cheaper then on their website i believe.
              www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
              2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

thanks mitch! i think ill be picking these up tonight.

Comment

Working...
                X