Soon to be IX owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to be IX owner

Alright boys! My good friend is gifting me a 325ix. It ran before the starter died and he's been spending his time fixing rust patches. He has a remanufactured starter for me as well. What are the main things I should look at, clean or replace when I recieve it? I know only a little about e30s and less about ix's.

When was last time he changed timing belt, water pump, AC/PS/ALT belts, plugs? Take care of any mechanical issues first

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Good question. I'll have to find all that out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

The main thing you should look at is your pockets. Make sure they're real deep...... :p
        My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

check the front half shaft boots for rips. and I would suggest pulling and greasing the front drive shaft where it goes into the transfer case only takes 30 minutes or so.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

All of the above plus check the t-case for ATF. Fluid level should be right below the fill plug.

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
              check the front half shaft boots for rips. and I would suggest pulling and greasing the front drive shaft where it goes into the transfer case only takes 30 minutes or so.
              Yup. And don't use ANY kind of lube.... You need Molykote BR-2 grease.
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

WOw, thanks guys! I appreciate all the feedback. We're probably going to be picking it up in another few weeks. Too much shit going on right now.

Comment

It's official.

Comment

It is parked at my good friend, The King's house (we're co-owners). We can't wait to be tooling around in this thing.

Comment

Looks decent!
                      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Congrats
                        My Allrad Blog

Comment

Minor ix updates!!

Let's recap:

As of last weekend we had the 325ix up on jackstands because we were planning on changing out all the stoppy parts (read brake rotors/pads).

Thursday:

We received miscellaneous parts from our benefactor. We'll document what they all are when we have some time but for now I'll just share pictures of all the boxes.

Before

After

Friday:

The King got a notification from his HOA that the 325ix was going to be towed because it was “inoperable” (sitting on jack stands). We decided that our next course of action would be to reassemble the front end with brand new brake rotors, lightly used pads and good condition calipers. After installing all of these we decided we'd also install new brake lines. Upon attempting to remove the old lines, the rusted hard lines snapped quicker than ratchet girls necks as I drive by.

...Well fuck...

Ok...so how to repair/replace 8ft of brake hardline. We first searched for a whole assembled unit to replace to no avail. Then we google/youtubed it and found a guy detailing using "'Gator Gripper" compression fittings to "tie" two pieces of hard line together!! Woo, our salvation! We headed to Autozone to pick up a couple and that's where we ended the evening and our weekend work on the 325ix.

Comment

HOA's blow.

Comment

For fucking sure, man. When I buy a house (in the next couple of months) I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure there isn't one of those around.

Comment

Working...
                              X