Rear diff scraping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear diff scraping

I removed my rear subframe, as suggested by Nando;), to replace all the rubber bits back there. After I dropped it, I noticed that the rear diff scrapes at certain section when I turn it by hand. The sound seems like it comes from the input bearing (s?). Do I have to take apart the LSD completely to replace it? When it was on the car, the drivetrain was a bit loud, but nothing that worried me. There weren't vibrations or wom wom wom noises. Do you think it's possible I damaged it dropping it from the car? I did have to wiggle it a bit because I didn't remove the ds, just slid the yoke.

Video:

I tried to move the camera around so you could hear where the noise is coming from, but I guess that doesn't work when you have 1 microphone...

I can't answer your question but make sure you put the yoke back in it's original position. otherwise the driveshaft will be out of balance. there should be a couple white dots to mark the proper orientation.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I can't answer your question but make sure you put the yoke back in it's original position. otherwise the driveshaft will be out of balance. there should be a couple white dots to mark the proper orientation.
      I figured it out; the dustcover plate was bent a little bit and was scraping against the housing. Bad news is, I don't see the dots marking the orientation. I may have to get it balanced professionally.

If there is no play in the universal joint on the ds, but it has a little bit of what feels like an indentation/preferable spot on each joint, does it need to be rebuilt or is it okay?

Comment

Working...
      X