Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few IX questions!

Hey all, recently picked up an 88 325IX coupe 5spd

Looking to do ALL the bushings pretty soon, plan to do poly engine/trans and all solid rear

Are the rear diff bushings the same as a RWD car?
    What coilovers can I run?
    Does someone make poly engine/trans mounts?
    Will RWD headers fit?
    Are the control arm bushings the same?

That is all... for now ;)

I'm willing to bet the diff bushing is different but any aftermarket one will fit. the subframe bushings are different though.

you can run a ground control kit with modified strut tubes.

you could run poly engine mounts, but I don't see the point on the ix. there's no aftermarket trans bushing (there's only one on the ix).

most RWD headers should fit. but, there is some risk of course.

you can run any E30 control arm bushings. I like the solid M3 bushings.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just did all my bushings besides the trans mount one. I got the condor speed shop cruiser kit with solid bushings comes with everything but the trans mount. Feels good, I have rwd headers and they fit is just the middle part of the exhaust that's different.

Comment

The diff bushing is different on the ix, the hole is offset to the upper side due to the slightly lower subframe.
        But if you change to rwd subframe bushings and rwd diff bushing its all good, but you got to have the rwd subframe brackets too!

You could just get a custom delrin trans mount like i did to match the engine mounts :)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I'm willing to bet the diff bushing is different but any aftermarket one will fit. the subframe bushings are different though.

you can run a ground control kit with modified strut tubes.

you could run poly engine mounts, but I don't see the point on the ix. there's no aftermarket trans bushing (there's only one on the ix).

you can run any E30 control arm bushings. I like the solid M3 bushings.

Awesome news! Thanks everyone! Plan to go all solid bushings and poly engine mount... Much needed maintenance first :)

Comment

If you don't plan on slamming the car, you can run the basic Ground Control kit without sectioning the housings
            Attached Files
            Suspension tips here...
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

you can but the suspension travel is no good. the point of cutting the housing and using a shorter insert is to get some decent travel, not necessarily to slam the car. it improves ride quality quite a bit when the bump stops aren't taking a pounding.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

At the ride height in the pic, I seldom bottom with 7" 430s...but I don't rally the car.

All of my other e30s are sectioned, so I understand where your coming from.
                Suspension tips here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                  The diff bushing is different on the ix, the hole is offset to the upper side due to the slightly lower subframe.
                  But if you change to rwd subframe bushings and rwd diff bushing its all good, but you got to have the rwd subframe brackets too!
                  Do I need the rwd subframe brackets specifically, or could I just use one or two spacers/risers likes these?

Check out our rear subframe washer designed for the BMW E30! Shop our other BMW car accessories and BMW performance parts at Condor Speed Shop.
                  1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                  1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

You can use spacers/washers.
                    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

thanks!
                      1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                      1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

I'll expand on this, as someone in my car's history botched a header install on my car.

If the headers terminate while still "straight" then RWD headers should fit with a custom midpipe from the collectors to the catalyst.

If the RWD headers bend around the rear end of the transmission to mate to the stock catalyst, they'll need work, as they'll interfere with the T-case.
                        Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 05-02-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

The part after the collectors is the mid pipe, it's not typically part of the headers.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The part after the collectors is the mid pipe, it's not typically part of the headers.
                            On mine it it's all one unit.

Also, the length of the secondaries IS very important to tuning. Also some more, the "collector" includes the pipe downstream of the merge. Collector length is also very important to tuning.

Comment

Only because they welded it together.. most headers don't include that part.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X