X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine swap, rwd block into awd car

Hey guys,

Sorry for my english, am from quebec:???:

I want to know if any of you did the swap an rwd engine block into an e30 325ix, I have changed the gear that drive the oil pump and I took the ix oil pump and oil pan from my ix block but i still dont have oil pressure, I dont know what to do.

I dont know how to deal with the big hole from the relief pressure valve on the rwd block

need help
    Last edited by e30awd_twincharged; 06-02-2015, 07:28 AM.

you really can't use a rwd block in an ix. i have never heard of anyone doing this successfully. as you figured out, the oil pump is different. i have been told it actually spins the opposite direction. if this is the case, it could explain why you don't have oil pressure.

also, what did you do about a dip stick?

there are actually many threads here and on e30tech about his very subject. you might want to do a search.

i think your best solution would be to find yourself a good running ix engine and start over.

p.s: welcome to the forum. wish i had better news for you.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Thanks, for you're answer

I have changed the gear that drive the oil, so the xi oil pump turn in the right direction, for the dipstick, I put a dowel pin press fit in the old dipstick hole and I drill a new one in the right place on the block with a small fiting

Also, I have oil that goes to the block, but a get now pressure

Comment

How are you checking oil pressure? and are you priming it with a drill in reverse?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I disconnect the spark plug and the injector and hold the starter for maybe 15 sec waiting the engine oil pressure increasing, but nothing happens. Than i remove the oil filter and its was full, so the oil going threw thw block but no pressure on my gauge

Comment

Any oil on the garage floor?

Comment

Nope

Comment

did you use Teflon tape anywhere?
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by e30awd_twincharged View Post
                  I dont know how to deal with the big hole from the relief pressure valve on the rwd block

Have you blocked this hole off? I'm pretty sure you won't have oil pressure without blocking this hole.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thanks for you're help guys

I did several test today and I think I found the problem, when I try to increase the oil pressure without the oil pan, I saw that the oil was leaking from the relief pressure valve hole. I already blocked the hole off, but it's sims that it's was not oil tight enough. I screw a m20x15 bolt with loctite in the hole and cut the head. Need to drill the hole to the pump and try it

I don't use Teflon tape, I use permatex tread sealer

I'll will give you more news soon

Comment

Got oil pressure

Thanks for your help

Now have oil pressure!! the main probleme was that the hole for the relief pressure valve on the block was not oil tight enough. I blocked the hole with a m20x1.5 bolt and drill the return hole to the pump and thats it.

How much pressure I should got just with the starter and how much at idle ?

look like it will be alive

Comment

Mine at cold idle is around 50 then drops to 15-20 when fully warned up

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X