Ix to I bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ix to I bushings

Since i have done a ton of reading on this, and wanted to do it i wanted to talk about this with you guys.
    I know Chris and some others have done the swap from ix to I bushings on the rear subframe to help correct the geometry when lowered.
    my car is lowered, obviously its the standard H&R/Billie HD combo.
    Problem is with this done to it the rear alignment is not ideal.

Goal is to raise the subframe to restore the original ish angle of the semi trailing arms to correct the alignment and maybe not destroy tires.

What i know so far is that I will need a pair of I sub frame bushings and to space the diff down the same amount that the sub frame is raised in the chassis.
    Sources point to this is about .300 of a inch.
    Rev shift sells diff spacers that are a bit too tall, thats fine, its a decent kit they support E30s and i can ask them or i can cut them down on my lathe
    the real question becomes what do i do for the washers on the sub frame when doing all this work?

Has anyone done this and done a how to, or has any experience to help me though it.
    I just want to not destroy tires anymore and maybe have the car handle a bit better.
    I was hoping that this would be the ideal solution but if its not ill have to pull the subframe again and buy the adjuster kit to see if that will solve the issue once and for all.

This is one of the threads i read that talked about the washer/spacer that had to do with the sub frame bushing.

I used these when I just swapped over to urethane bushings that arent ix specific.

Check out our rear subframe washer designed for the BMW E30! Shop our other BMW car accessories and BMW performance parts at Condor Speed Shop.

IIRC the ix washers have a metal bit on top that makes them "taller" and forces the chassis to sit higher

like these ones
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
    Last edited by 6A LDY; 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM.
    1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
    1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Run Normal RWD Bushings and subframe "Stopper" Washers. Either run an offset diff mount or diff spacers to make up the height difference at the diff.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Mount-Question
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Stock ix diff bushing is offset to compensate for the lower sitting subframe.
        I just put rwd delrin subframe bushings and rwd delrin diff bushing in. (Centered hole)
        You have to use rwd subframe bushing "brackets" or use spacers between the bushing and the ix brackets.

That's how I did it and its working just fine :)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Finally did this, it made the car feel much better to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioNToxication View Post
            Finally did this, it made the car feel much better to drive.
            Nice! I've bought them like a month ago and i'm waiting for them to arrive.

What did you do with the top washer? I forgot to order the rwd ones

I think i can find something similar on a hardware store. What do you think? It's just a washer haha

Please upload pics or alignment specs after you did the conversion

Thanks!

Comment

I had ordered the RWD ones so thats what I used.
              The alignment sheet is in my door pocket, Its still eating front tires, its sort of frustrating.
              I really want to sell the car to be honest.
              When i did this I also added a garagistic subframe with fresh subframe bushings and new trailing arm bushings, it really made the car much more smooth.

Comment

Working...
              X