front diff rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front diff rebuild

I recently picked up the front and rear differentials as well as a transfer case for my ix. My plan is to rebuild them one by one and swap them in and I think I'll start with the front diff. Anyone have any advice or any good links to rebuild DIYs?
    Thanks!

what do you mean exactly when you say "rebuild"? if you are talking about replacing metal parts such as gears, i would say throw it in the trash and find one in decent shape. if you are talking about replacing gaskets and seals, get on real oem, make yourself a grocery lists of parts, buy them from a reputable dealer such as blunt.

be sure to mark everything before you take it apart so it goes together exactly the way it came. there are threads in this section if you search for them about taking transfer cases apart and putting them back together. the diffs will be fairly self explanatory. i wouldn't pull out the pinion gear unless you really need to change the bearings for some reason. however, if you do that, the gear will need to be reset and that will take a lot of special tools and patience.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah by rebuild I meant replace all the seals, gaskets, and bearings - the gears and everything else should be fine. I just want to make sure everything is in good shape.

Comment

First off - Make sure you can get the appropriate shims to do the rebuild! No use tearing down a good unit only to find that the rebuild parts required are NLA!

The front should be straight forward. You will have the pinion shim for reference and will have to shim the pinion and carrier to get an acceptable contact pattern total of three unique shims. Setting up rolling torque, pre-loading bearings and such should be the same as any differential build (with tapered roller bearings). There are DVDs out there and information on the internet. The CLAMPING BUSH 33121200259 will need replacing as well. Good luck
        Last edited by packratbimmer; 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

If you're just replacing bearings, you don't need to change shims unless you think that BMW screwed it up.

Comment

I would tend to agree with the above, but there is always a chance that an adjustment would need to be made.

The reason that I brought up the shim issue is that they look like they are a little hard to find.

For an example see below - I did not do an extensive search, but just a few. Only a few sizes availabe:

Comment

Working...
            X