interesting manual TC issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting manual TC issue

OK lets see if I can explain this so everyone can understand my issue.

I was given a manual transfer case from a guy that I bought an automatic ix from as part of the deal in buying the car. Sourced a known ix manual transmission from another local guy so I could get rid of the automatic trans. I am still sourcing the rest of the parts I need to finish the swap, but today I did a mock up of how everything goes together at the back of the trans to the transfer case and the two flanges do not match each other in hole size or distance to center of hole, so there is no way to bolt a guibo in between them and get the bolts to all line up.

The way I see it is that either the tranny has the wrong output flange or the input shaft of the TC is not correct.

The output flange on the trans has the same size bolt holes and distance apart as the rear drive line, so I am assuming it is right. The guibo for the driveline aligns with it too. I know that the trans guibo is not the same as the driveline one, but I don't have the correct guibo that goes between the trans and TC yet, so I am assuming they are different thicknesses but the same in all other aspects such as bolt holes and distance apart etc. Please correct me if I am wrong!

So now on to the TC. It bolts up just fine to the back of the ix trans. The input shaft is where I am having issues. It inserts through the front cover perfectly and all things fit together properly on the TC side. Everything would seem right until you look at the flange on the input shaft. It has larger bolt holes for one, and they are farther apart from the center than the flange on the trans. Unless the guibo has offset bolt holes and different size bolts for each side then this will not work.

Could this TC be from a 5 series car? Would BMW have made the input shaft different for that car, but the rear of the TC be the same. Maybe the 525ix had a different trans or something so it needed to be larger. I don't know, but this is driving me crazy trying to figure it all out. What I have will not work as I see it, so please chime in and advise. These ix's are so specialized and there isn't a whole lot of info out there. Thanks!
    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Pic? Does it say A95 or A110 on it? The A110 (E34) doesn't use a rear guibo btw.
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

maybe somebody swapped the output flange on the manual trans to the smaller one?

the center flex disk should be 96mm diameter if that helps. I don't think you can swap input shafts on the transfercase but you could swap output shafts on the transmission.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

In doing further research, I have figured out that my TC is for an e30 as the front half of the case is the same part number as others that have included pics with the write ups they have done on servicing the TC, and there are no electrical connections on the TC itself which would eliminate it as being from an e34.

I also saw a pic of an e30 TC input shaft and it looked to me to have the same size flange on it as the one on my trans. I am guessing that someone was experimenting with various parts and got ahold of an e34 TC input shaft and installed it into this e30 TC.

The VC is bad on this one anyway so I was planning on only using the front cover and input shaft from this TC and swapping it over to my good TC that is still on the car. Looks like I'm in the market for an e30 TC input shaft. Anyone got a junk TC that would be willing to sell me just the input shaft?
        The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          maybe somebody swapped the output flange on the manual trans to the smaller one?

the center flex disk should be 96mm diameter if that helps. I don't think you can swap input shafts on the transfercase but you could swap output shafts on the transmission.
          This is definitely a possibility. Kind of hard to know for sure judging from a pic. It would sure be nice if someone could verify for me that the input shaft flange is larger than the output shaft flange on the e30 TC. If this is correct, then I am in the market for a larger trans output shaft flange.

I did look up the PN of the ix flange on realoem and it did not cross reference with any other car like the larger flanged late eta, so I don't know if that is the flange I would need or if it really is ix specific and would have to get it from a junk ix manual trans.

Either way, I obviously need one or the other!

Comment

Ok here is the latest. I measured both flanges to see what the distance was from the center of the flange to the center of the bolt hole and these are the results:

Tranny flange = 1.5" x 2 to get diameter for guibo measurement = 3" or 78mm
            TC flange = 1.875" x 2 to get diameter for guibo measurement = 3.75 or 96mm

The result is that the TC flange is the correct one and that the tranny flange is too small as nando indicated.

Does anyone know if the larger flange from a late eta getrag 260 trans is the same as this ix flange that I now know I need?

Comment

I believe that the late e cars made from 5/86 and later had the same output shaft flange on their transmissions as the ix does on theirs. The guibo PN's are identical. This would explain why the ix trans I have has the wrong flange as the guy I bought it from most likely took it for his turbo race car and then put this smaller one on to make me think the trans was complete. I hate dishonest people!

Comment

Found out something even more interesting. Revshift makes a guibo that allows the small flange to be bolted up to the large flange. It is used mainly by guys that swap an s52 into an e30 and use a zf trans that has the 96mm output flange but need to use their original driveline that has a 78mm flange. PN PFX-24V $130

Definitely a possibility if I can't locate a large flange, but the price is a bit steep!

Comment

I was actually about to suggest that... a billet/urethane adapter guibo

Comment

Found a guy on the forum looking for a small flange that had a large one. In the process of trading. This place is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X