Drive shaft coupling nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive shaft coupling nut

im trying to get the one on my car loose. bent a screw driver in the u joint tryin to turn it either way, so im thinking i wasnt on the nut. anyone have a breakdown of that assembly? Real oem doesnt have a diagram that i could find. any help appreciated.

Are you trying to get the coupling nut loose or just get the driveshaft out?

There's enough travel in the plunge fitting to get the guibo out of the front and disengage it from the T-case and drop it.

Comment

I have a vibration that is present while I have no load on the shaft, if I pull my foot off the gas pedal while in gear it vanishes. If I accelerate, it lessens. I tried with a pipe wrench to turn the nut and I bent the screwdriver I had in the u joint holding it from turning

Comment

Could be the CCB

Comment

If it had one

Comment

Much to learn lol!

Comment

Lol yea, ix's are 1 piece and only 1 u joint right at the diff

Comment

You don't need to loosen the coupling nut.
                Typically the rear U-joint wears out... and there really isn't anything to do about except throw down $700 for a new shaft.

BMA has a replacement U-joint, but there's fairly ticklish machining involved in replacing it.

Comment

Vibration kinda started after swapping my tc, im more like hoping that it's the coupling :P

Comment

when you say coupling, are you talking about the guibo?
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Nope, the one in the back, I'm very familiar with guibos if your putting the 8 bolt one in a 2002, make sure the band stays on until it's installed :P but I do wonder. If the u joint or coupling is loose and the d shaft is vibrating back there, do you think I would be able to feel it in the shifter?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
                        Nope, the one in the back, I'm very familiar with guibos if your putting the 8 bolt one in a 2002, make sure the band stays on until it's installed :P but I do wonder. If the u joint or coupling is loose and the d shaft is vibrating back there, do you think I would be able to feel it in the shifter?
                        Okay, I'm no pro, just know stuff from working on my own cars, but from what you're trying, it seems like it's not your driveshaft. I also may have misunderstood your question but:

It's possible that you'd feel vibration in your shifter, but my guess is that if your ujoint is loose/bad, you'd feel it in the whole car, not just the shifter. The easiest way to check is if you just climb under your car (all 4 wheels on the ground and e-brake on) and try to shake the driveshaft. If you can make it move in any direction other than the twisting motion, somethings wrong.

What drive shaft coupling nut were you trying to loosen, this one: http://s614.photobucket.com/user/dan...haft.jpg.html?

Comment

Yup that one, it's just frozen, ill have to get it moving again

Comment

Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
                            Yup that one, it's just frozen, ill have to get it moving again
                            Sounds like it. If your car is on the ground, I don't think you need to ruin any more screwdrivers loosening it.

Comment

Working...
                            X