Front diff material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front diff material?

So I've been wondering what the metal our front diffs are made out of. The gears not the case. I want to see the cost to have new gears made from better stock. And if I get them made and they can take some serious hard launches I may be able to do something with it.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

steel?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

every gear i can think of is made of steel, just different alloys on the nicer applications. might be able to get away with having your existing gears further heat treated.

the better question is: what fails on the front diffs when they break? if you end up having new gears made, that's probably what the manufacturer is gonna need to know to make em stronger

Comment

it's usually the spider gears, not the R&P.

the front diff case is pretty small, so significant improvements are going to be difficult and expensive. the simplest thing to do would be to add 2 more spider gears which is what the guy with the 1000hp ix did.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I shot everything with an XRF Analyzer a while ago at work. I wasn't sure if the gears had any sort of coating so I used pieces that had been cut in half to get the base metal. Everything was tested multiple times, these were the most consistent results.

Diff carrier: 1215 (Free machine high sulfur steel)
          Spider gear: TS-S5
          Crown gear: A485-1

I can test hardness at lunch today.

Ray
          Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 07-29-2015, 03:58 AM.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
          Rear Diff Rebuild
          Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
          Transfer Case Rebuild
          "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

The carrier is around 275 BHN
            The spider gear is around 600 BHN
            The crown gear is around 450 BHN

Ray
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
            Rear Diff Rebuild
            Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
            Transfer Case Rebuild
            "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Hardened tool steel. Not gonna get much better than that. At this point, making them large would probably be the only way to make them stronger, which there is no room for.

Comment

Working...
              X