Camber and toe for street/track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camber and toe for street/track?

I have read about this in another thread I believe but can't find it...
    What alignment do you guys run front and rear?
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thanks, but i have adjustable camber/caster/toe up front and camber/toe in the rear and is looking for a little more "aggressive" setup than stock :)

I think Nando posted his settings but i cant remeber...
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

0 toe, about -2 camber in the front

0 toe, 0~ -1 camber in the rear

considering you routinely see high speeds in your car though, i'd give it a little bit of toe in, maybe .1~.2*

Comment

Camber and caster should be set by looking at your tire temps after a skid pad session. It's pretty common in other cars to need 3 degrees of camber to get the tire temps even across the tread surface.

Comment

mine is totally set up for the street right now.. I think I set it at -1.5 or something, lol.

but yeah, you need to measure tire temps. doesn't have to be a skid pad (unless you only drive on skid pads?), but when I got really serious about it I started a log of tire temps.

The front tires will always be warmer than the rears, it's just the nature of the car. but what you can control is the temp across the tires. I didn't have adjustable camber back then, so I had to live with it - but at I believe -2.5 degrees, it wasn't enough to prevent the outside of the tire from getting significantly hotter than the insides. I think another degree of camber would have made a big difference.

tire pressure plays a role since you can prevent it from rolling over onto the outside edge, but there's only so much you can do with that.

Be careful with toe because that can also add to the overheating of the front tires. Toe out will heat up the insides, toe in would heat up the outsides (which already overheat). IMO I'd just go for stock settings here.

run as much caster as you can, since it affects the amount of camber you get with the wheel turned. making the car corner flatter also helps since you don't lose as much camber when the body rolls over on the suspension.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks guys!
              The car will mostly be driven on the street but its not a daily :)

I will start with 3 degrees camber up front, im already at max caster (plates and CAB)

Whats the difference in car behavior toe in or toe out, front and rear?
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Front:
                Toe in for straight line and high speed stability, but will be more reluctant to turn
                Toe out for turn in, but will dart/wander under hard braking and not be as stable at speed

Rear:
                Toe in to drive
                Toe out to crash

Comment

What tires are you running? If you're running a 600 treadwear all season 3 degrees front camber is too much. If you're running a high performance summer tire it's probably about right, if you're running something like a g-force rival you probably need 3.5-4 degrees depending on driving style.

Assuming you have a relatively aggressive tire on the car ask them to max out the front camber and then set the rear to match. 1.25 degree less than the front is probably a good starting point. Because the iX has more weight in the front than an iS you don't want to run quite as much rear camber as you would on an iS, you'll get understeer.

Toe is one of those settings that has a huge amount to do with driver comfort. There are theoretically perfect caster and camber settings for each car/tire combination, but toe is a lot about feel. The Dark Side of Will summarized the basic feel changes really well. If you don't have track or autocross experience don't run toe out. That said, if you have good car control (not parking lot drifting but some real training behind the wheel) Slight toe out in the front, maybe 1mm total toe out will dramatically improve the front bite on turn in. I wouldn't mess with rear toe at all. 0 is pretty safe, rear toe in will help with high speed stability, it's really only for situations where the back end tries to come around in straight line braking. Rear toe out can help produce rotation if the car is too neutral feeling but is extremely dangerous. Rear toe out in unload situations is what gave old Porsches a reputation for killing people.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Right now im on cheap street tires but i will put better tires on next summer.
                    I have pretty much toe out in the front...really have to do an alignment :P
                    As you say it turns in great but is not that stable when braking from higher speeds, or just letting off and rolling for that matter :P
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                    X