No announcement yet.

Looking for better gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i happen to have an original window sticker and it says the fuel economy should be 17/23. i wouldn't bitch about 25. i used to get 21 mixed with my silver 91.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
      Depends... If he chucks it in neutral, he's burning gas while it idles. If the hill is steep enough, then lifting off the gas results in the DME shutting the injectors off and maximum engine braking... but that only applies if the hill is steep enough to keep the car from losing speed going down it. If the hill isn't steep enough, you'll need to use a little bit of throttle to maintain speed... more gas than idling? I dunno.
      above 1500 RPM or so, consumption is zero. I was thinking more about safety, if you suddenly need to accelerate or change lane to avoid something, the last thing you will think of is vehicle in gear. In neutral, you are more at risk when it comes to react quickly. Besides, I think it's illegal. At least in some us countries.

Comment

It's illegal in the USA too

engine braking on a stock M20 isn't significant - it only has 8.8:1 compression. you're probably better off coasting in gear, with the injectors shut off. the DME opens up the ICV to reduce engine braking as well when the injectors are shut off.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I GET IT, I surrender. Thank you for everyone's input.
          [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Working...
          X