Different size tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different size tires

I am running 195-65-14 snow tires on bottle caps in the rear on my 1990 325ix.

Can I run 185-70-14 on bottle caps in the front?

Will I damage the all wheel drive system. This is not a daily driver....just. a car for the winter snow.

Originally posted by viali8 View Post
    I am running 195-65-14 snow tires on bottle caps in the rear on my 1990 325ix.

Can I run 185-70-14 on bottle caps in the front?

Will I damage the all wheel drive system. This is not a daily driver....just. a car for the winter snow.
    No, yes.

Don't do it. Any difference in tires is bad for the t-case (VC). Even if it's 2 different brands of the same sized tires, it's a probably a bad idea.

Someone else might chime in with more detail, but I would suggest against it, especially if you want to keep the tcase working for driving in the snow:).

Comment

That's what I figured. I thought i maybe able to get away with it and not do any damage since the tires are some what close to that same size.

Comment

I'd also recommend against doing this. Although the differences in overall tire diameters between those two particular sizes are small, it's not worth the risk of smoking your VC.

This is a pretty useful link to investigate tire size differences ...

185/70-R14 tires are 0.22 inches (5.5 mm) larger in diameter than 195/65-R14 tires and the speedometer difference is 0.9%

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I compared the two tires via this site. The tires aren't a perfect match.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I compared the two tires via this site. The tires aren't a perfect match.

Any thoughts?
            In your case, its best to find four matching tires. I found a full set for under $80/tire on tirerack but I'm not sure if those are still available.

Comment

besides being the wrong diameters, you want the same tires on all 4 corners, not a mish mash of different types/brands. That's just a bad idea.

New blizzaks in 14" are pretty damn cheap. I mean I think mine were like $250-$300 brand new at Costco.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                besides being the wrong diameters, you want the same tires on all 4 corners, not a mish mash of different types/brands. That's just a bad idea.

New blizzaks in 14" are pretty damn cheap. I mean I think mine were like $250-$300 brand new at Costco.
                Yeah, I had to ask as I found a set of used snow tires on Craig's list that someone was giving away for free.

Comment

Yeah, I had to ask as I found a set of used snow tires on Craig's list that someone was giving away for free.
                  Totally off topic, but this is probably the first time I've seen Craigslist written out as Craig's list:D. I mean, that's the right way, but even mr. Craig himself is too lazy to type it out and it's craigslist on the actual website...just commending your grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
                    Totally off topic, but this is probably the first time I've seen Craigslist written out as Craig's list:D. I mean, that's the right way, but even mr. Craig himself is too lazy to type it out and it's craigslist on the actual website...just commending your grammar.
                    What can I say. I am an elementary school teacher. 😜

Comment

Working...
                    X