Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix driving noise

Hey guys,

So I noticed after driving my (new at least for me) 325ix Touring a few times on the highway/freeway I can hear a whining/driving noise when accelerating. It's also there when driving slower but not as loud.
    I got my wheels aligned just recently when I bought the car.

Could it be that the alignment isn't correct anymore some how or is it something different?

Any of you that also notice this, or is this specific for a 4wd car as I've never owned one before.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Well, if the noise is getting louder the faster you go, it has to be something that is spinning, like your drive shaft, wheels, diff, tranny, transfer case or belts.

Can you tell which end of the car its coming from? Front, rear, middle, left or right?
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

If you are looking for the noise, you can pop up the shifter boot while driving. If it gets louder, it's likely it's coming from your tcase or drive shafts. My guess is it's a bearing, since it's high pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Well, if the noise is getting louder the faster you go, it has to be something that is spinning, like your drive shaft, wheels, diff, tranny, transfer case or belts.

Can you tell which end of the car its coming from? Front, rear, middle, left or right?
        as far as I can tell everything spins smoothly when I had the car jacked up last weekend. I'm not sure where the noise is coming from, hard to locate

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
        If you are looking for the noise, you can pop up the shifter boot while driving. If it gets louder, it's likely it's coming from your tcase or drive shafts. My guess is it's a bearing, since it's high pitch.
        I'll try that next time I'm driving. If it would be a bearing, wouldn't you still hear the noise when not giving throttle? as the noise goes away when I let go of the gas pedal.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I can hear my drive line, which is a bit of a whine when I am driving on the highway. I don't know if it's normal, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I don't worry about it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            as far as I can tell everything spins smoothly when I had the car jacked up last weekend. I'm not sure where the noise is coming from, hard to locate

I'll try that next time I'm driving. If it would be a bearing, wouldn't you still hear the noise when not giving throttle? as the noise goes away when I let go of the gas pedal.
            Sometimes a bearing will only make a noise when its under a load if it's not too far gone.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Diffs or bearings!

So it is either diffs or bearings, make sure you have fluid in diffs, transfer case and tranny, I have seen this is my prior's. it sounded like I had a turbo spooling, it sounded cool at times, and my diff detonated, literally, I think I drove it without oil/fluid.

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
              Hey guys,

So I noticed after driving my (new at least for me) 325ix Touring a few times on the highway/freeway I can hear a whining/driving noise when accelerating. It's also there when driving slower but not as loud.
              I got my wheels aligned just recently when I bought the car.

Could it be that the alignment isn't correct anymore some how or is it something different?

Any of you that also notice this, or is this specific for a 4wd car as I've never owned one before.
              Last edited by sassen; 10-20-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
                I can hear my drive line, which is a bit of a whine when I am driving on the highway. I don't know if it's normal, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I don't worry about it too much.
                I think I have the same noise like you do.

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                Sometimes a bearing will only make a noise when its under a load if it's not too far gone.
                Ok, thanks. I'll look further into this

Originally posted by sassen View Post
                So it is either diffs or bearings, make sure you have fluid in diffs, transfer case and tranny, I have seen this is my prior's. it sounded like I had a turbo spooling, it sounded cool at times, and my diff detonated, literally, I think I drove it without oil/fluid.
                I'm still planning on replacing all fluids of the tranny, T case and diffs. It's not a very high pitch whine more like a buzzing kinda whine/sound

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
                  When driving home from school I tried this and noticed the noise being louder with the boot removed.
                  Is there an easy way checking which bearing is worn?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

How loud is it? The iX will have quiet/slight whine compared to a RWD. Remember that you have a transfer case about three inches from your knee doing its job. If it drives you crazy, Dynamat the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                      How loud is it? The iX will have quiet/slight whine compared to a RWD. Remember that you have a transfer case about three inches from your knee doing its job. If it drives you crazy, Dynamat the floor.
                      It's definitely not loud but it's noticeable. I'll try to compare with my uncles IX when I have a chance to drive it.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I ran into a similar noise on mine a while back and it ended up being a tcase bearing. does it feeling like the car is being robbed of power at all?
                        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
                          I ran into a similar noise on mine a while back and it ended up being a tcase bearing. does it feeling like the car is being robbed of power at all?

As far as I can tell no power loss.
                          Haven't had the chance to drive my uncles iX so I can compare.

I do remember that the guy from BMW said that the car rolled longer in reverse than in first gear. He said it was probably the alignment that was off. As you could clearly tell the wheels had alot of toe.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                          X