No announcement yet.

Clutch LSD rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were two posts on e30tech (a sadly lost resourse) of two rebuilds of the tcase viscous coupling. Fluid and seals are available ,just cut apart on lathe clean and straighten plates and add correct quantity/viscosity fluid and reweld.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

I've rebuilt the center VC myself, it's definitely possible. I actually used a brake disc lath to cut mine apart. It's still working great to this day (3 years later). Unfortunately, my thread was on e30-tech..

Another user on this forum (I'll have to look up his thread) machined a collar for his center VC to accept a sealed cover which allows him to refill it without welding it back together. It's really neat.

He also took the VC out of the rear diff to discover that it had a lid with a snap ring that held it down, much like he had done with the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one cut open awaiting fluid and another donor to rebuild(two spare Tcases with blown VC's). Have the seals from Mcmaster-carr and own a tig welder

Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
          I have one cut open awaiting fluid and another donor to rebuild(two spare Tcases with blown VC's). Have the seals from Mcmaster-carr and own a tig welder

You better start a thread w pics! I'll be happy to answer any questions if you have any. I mig'd mine so you'll probably have a way cleaner result with a tig. I had to turn my welds back down on the lathe afterwords..

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
            They are welded shut by robots in a vacuum.

Curious to hear more about this...

Not in a vacuum.. Probably a submerged arc weld. It can and has been done.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah I was under the impression that a rebuild was not feasible, hence my original question

Comment

Working...
              X