will ix front subframe fit non ix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will ix front subframe fit non ix?

Here is one that I think will test even the most knowledgeable e30 guru's.

I was wondering if anyone would know if the aluminum ix subframe can bolt into the rwd chassis front subframe mounting points?

I haven't tried, but have heard that the forward two bolts on the RWD body match up to the rear two bolts on the AWD body.

IOW, you'd need to fab some extra structure to the frame rails to pick up the forward mount points on the iX crossmember.

I do want to try this. The iX's lack of caster means it has really shitty steering feedback at high cornering loads. I'd like to build an AWD car with RWD caster. I think it would be simpler to adapt the crossmember and do some surgery on the trans tunnel than to try to swap RWD strut towers into an iX body.

Comment

so if I am reading between the lines correctly, does that mean the front bolts to the rear mounting points is because of the increased caster on the rwd moving the subframe forward?

the interesting thing is all the info I have been able to find makes it look like they have the same mounting points. If you look at the drawing I attached, the first page is rwd and 2nd is ix.

in both the distance from rear is 2017mm, centerline width is 790mm and bolt spacing is 170mm (was able to confirm the rwd on another drawing).

Am I missing something?
      Attached Files

Comment

You're missing getting under a car and looking at it.

As I said, I haven't tried to install an AWD crossmember in a RWD body. What I've heard is that the rear bolts on the AWD crossmember match the forward two bolts on the RWD crossmember.

Comment

I think it depends on the chassis. IIRC, early cars need the frame rails modified for the front subframe bolts, but later cars have it already.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Update:
            I finally had the 2 chassis in the right place/state to try this and confirm they will not swap. The mounting points have the alignment dowels on the opposite holes.

Comment

that's fixable.. those sleeves are pressed in
              cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
              X