Need some ABS ohm reading help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some ABS ohm reading help!

I am looking to see if someone know about the black box sensor, on drivers side shock mount. I took an ohm reading of the two pins on the inside and got a received 2.2Ohms, I am just trying to figure out how to get ABS working on my late model car. This reading seemed strange to me, if anyone wants to help me out? part number is 0265005003

it's a mercury switch. IIRC it should be closed at rest (assuming flat ground). Under braking, it should open.

The system "detects" ice and changes ABS strategies if you're hitting the brakes and the switch stays closed because the car isn't slowing down.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do you know anyway of testing it? Or would it give a ABS light on start up? I am almost giving up testing and trouble shooting this late e30 abs.

Comment

It could give an ABS light if it's an open signal on startup. A common fix is to install a 1k ohm resistor in pin 19 of the C101 (that's the signal from the mercury switch to the DME/ABS).

It's a super simple system. There's only the 4 wheel sensors, the mercury switch, the pump, and the control module. Another common thing that fails is the relay - on the later cars, it's on the pump housing rather than inside the car.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am not to good with relays, but get the basic idea, i used a 9v relay, and tested the 4 pin relay, and it clicks, along with no resistance when open if i remember, the silver 6 pin relay i was not too sure on how to test it, but it clicks when 9v across some pins. I found one of the speed sensors broken at the base, and bought replacement. Hopefully i can track this down.

Comment

Originally posted by rwtags View Post
            I am not to good with relays, but get the basic idea, i used a 9v relay, and tested the 4 pin relay, and it clicks, along with no resistance when open if i remember, the silver 6 pin relay i was not too sure on how to test it, but it clicks when 9v across some pins. I found one of the speed sensors broken at the base, and bought replacement. Hopefully i can track this down.
            Update - surprisingly it was just a speed sensor, after jamming on the brakes for a bit, to i looked down at the dash to see my speed, and saw the ABS light was finnally out!

I had the symptoms of the abs light on all the time, without the car rolling, so i thought it was a relay, module or abs pump, but it was a stupid sensor, so just check all the sensors before you go crazy like i did

Comment

Working...
            X