Leaking transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking transmission

I am leaking fluid, I replaced fluid about 4k miles ago, and I checked it again 3 weeks ago and it there was about 400ml or so missing. So I refilled it, and now it's leaking a bunch.

Is there a way to check the bell housing for leakage in there? I cleaned it up when I changed fluid, nothing is really leaking on the front side of the transmission, but the rear end, not so much. It appears to be leaking g toward the back.

How hard, or pain in the ass is it to replace a rear seal on the car? I tried to check the top of the bell housing but its impossible to find out if it's leaking? Should I throw a rag up there and leave it to see if it's leaking? Car has 217k miles and I daily drive it.

Also I changed to transfer case fluid. And just wondering how shiny that should be? I have never had a chain driven transfer case so do t know what it's supposed to look like.

You'll have to remove the exhaust, rear driveshaft and transfer case in order to get to the rear of the transmission. There are two seals for selector rod and output shaft.

You light be able to have a closer look at the bell housing from below.
    There is an aluminum cover that bolts to the back of the engine and bell housing.
    Part 22

As for the transfer case fluid, it should be bright red as it uses ATF fluid.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It is more typical for the rear seals (2) on a 260 Getrag to leak. You might be forcing fluid out of the vent if you are overfilling it. Measure out the amount of fluid required and pump it in and see how it does. Same thing for the transfer case. Do not overfill it. I always changed my transfer case oil frequently since it only holds a 1/2 quart just to make sure it was full.

Comment

Would filling the transmission on ramps be overfilling?

Edited: filling on ramps does add a extra .2l of fluid, while the transfer case will overfill and drip onto the exhaust. It adds about a extra .15l of fluid to the transfer case, a half hour drive will pour enough fluid out of the vent to get you to .5l though.
        Last edited by rwtags; 06-09-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X