May be trading for a 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May be trading for a 325ix

So, i've got a project e36 that I need to put a trans. into. Since my parents sold my Bravada out from under me, I have no winter worthy ride. I know a guy whose selling a 325ix that needs some work. Needs a brake line, the bottoms of the doors have a little rust, power windows dont work and when I drove it the other day i noticed the power steering wasnt quite working. anyways I asked him if he'd trade me for my e36 and he thought it was a good idea. He told me that if it doesnt sell by monday, he'll trade for my 325is.

His car is a 1989 325ix saloon slushbox in alpine white. I plan on turboing with some 524td parts ive got after I do a tune up and make sure the motor is in tip top shape. What other mods can I do to the car to make it nice again? If i can find a white e30 4 door i plan on swapping the doors and making the car look clean and nice again. The t case was replaced 70k ago and supposedly works, but I plan on testing that before I trade.

Any suggestions or ideas on how I can make this car my new baby?

here are some pics

65k 325i Automatic
    1985 M635CSI Frank Fahey Stroker
    1970 BMW 2002 (in restoration)

I would watch out on a auto 325ix. I am sure someone will trade a 325iX for a E36 that needs some work. If it all checks out and you really want this white car, take it to someone who knows awd and have them check it out.

Comment

I'm going to jack the back of the car up on a smooth surface and try to drive it forward. The jack should move with the rest of the car.
      65k 325i Automatic

Comment

hmmm looks a lot like my car but that sure is a lot of rust.. how much is ur e36 worth?
        '12 F30 328i Sport Line
        '91 SpecE30 #523
        '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by 94530inh View Post
          I'm going to jack the back of the car up on a smooth surface and try to drive it forward. The jack should move with the rest of the car.

Correct the only way to tell with out pulling th T-case apart
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

The seller says the TCase was replaced with a new one 70k ago by BMWand it looks newer but we'll see if it works. Ive seen the car in real life. The only real rust is on a couple of the doors. I'm going to sand and paint all the other rust. Ive seen the car in real life and rust is a non issue. Paint is perfect otherwise.
            65k 325i Automatic

Comment

that is a LOT of rust - there is definitely more than you can see. I bet the entire rocker under the sideskirts is rusted through, not to mention every nut and bolt on the car is going to be rusty.

it sounds pretty rough too - and honestly an ix that needs a ton of work isn't something you want to get into, unless you want to spend lots of money and time. putting a trans into the E36 would be a lot easier than all the work that ix is likely to need.

if you really want an ix, you're better off buying a nice one without rust. the only reason I'd even consider that car is if it were a 5 speed, in solid mechanical condition and I was going to use it as a beater (or parts car).
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I worked as a mechanic for the past year. Its my hobby to bring bimmers back to life. I want a 325ix project. I know what i'm getting myself into and am really looking forward to it.
                65k 325i Automatic

Comment

do they papers on this Tcase replacement?

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

dont know. Says it was done at a dealer. Is there any way I can get records from the dealer by VIN?
                    65k 325i Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by 94530inh View Post
                      I worked as a mechanic for the past year. Its my hobby to bring bimmers back to life. I want a 325ix project. I know what i'm getting myself into and am really looking forward to it.
                      that's cool, just wanted to make sure you know what you're getting into. :)
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That is the car I was thinking of but I didn't see the pics I remember of the strut towers. I agree with nando that you'd probably be better off with a more solid platform, especially living in this great state. The way I see it, everything can be replaced on a car, just some things cost more than others. Bodywork is one of those things that will cost you more, as will the 5spd swap. I would look for a car that has either one or the other...

On a good note, it would be awesome to have another white e30 being driven in NH!
                        '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                        '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Okay, as someone who lives in rust country... that much rust is not worth your effort. Look at the bottom of the car again. You will have to plan on replacing everything! Brake lines, transmission lines, gas lines, control arms, I bet the rear trailing arms are a disaster... bet the gas tank is too (rusts from the top down, where you can't see)... look at that engine from the top. Look at the ends of every line in there... that is scary rust.

Seriously. Walk away. Put the transmission in the E36, sell it for the most you can, and then look for a better base... That is not it, I guarantee you that!

That is scary rust.

Comment

yeah that shit is scary

Modified E21 Brake Boosters for m5x/s5x swap......... 85 shipped.

Parts That I'm currently selling

My EBAY

Comment

There is plenty of surface rust on that car. The underbody is definitely the main issue though. You will spend probably a grand just getting that underbody in top top trusting condition. I suggest looking elsewhere.... There a 325ix in MD. I dont know how far that would be for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X