Trouble Selling My ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eighteight325is View Post
    I would have never trashed your for sale thread, but I remember seeing it when it first posted and really found it unlikely you would find a buyer anywhere near the original $4700.

I look around in the various classifieds and it seems that everyone is bent on selling more or less stock E30's for 2 to 3 times the book value because they have seen other cars go for that not taking into account factors such as geographic area, previous work done to the car, inside sales (i.e. people buying cars from other forum members or friends that know the full history of the car). Not that there is anything wrong with trying and if they find a buyer good on them.

I think you are correct that with the snow gone AWD isn't as much of a selling point in the NE. But also consider that the things you have come to accept of your car (missing glove box, rust/rot starting, cut springs, worn weather seals, auto-magic tranny, etc... are going to be much more evident to a prospective buyer. Conversely fancy speakers, subs and decks will probably not equate to much additional value to the average buyer.

I feel like my car is pretty clean and free of idiosyncracies until I let someone else drive it and then I realize there are a lot of very small issues I tend to overlook because I have come to accept the car for what it is. Potential buyers will always pick up on and zero in on what is wrong and begin subtracting dollars from an offer they are willing to make.

No disrespect or anything intended, I just felt like weighing in. Good luck with the sale and have fun with your Porsche.

See that's the advice I was looking for. I grasped most of that and didnt anticipate on getting the entire amount, I expected to break even on it at least based on what I paid for it. iXes tend to resale for quite a bit more than stock e30's and factoring in issues, I assumed that it would still resale for near that number since I'm seeing ones without history going for 4000 at 200k plus. But thanks for the input. I have interest and a possible sale from a few people on craigslist, but frankly, another reason I held out, is because I want to sell it to someone on the board so it doesnt get trashed by some kid or left to rot in a driveway. I know it sounds stupid but I want a good buyer. lol.
    1991 BMW 325ix 186k (in Boston)
    1997 BMW 750iL 65k (in Chicago)

1990 BMW 525i 287k (RIP)
    2005 Nissan Pathfinder 36k miles
    1991 Nissan 300ZX 5 Spd Non Turbo 131k
    All Daily Driven.

Though the bimmer's are my daily drivers :D

Vitals: 1997 e38 750iL Oxford Green Metallic on Grey Leather Interior
    1991 e30 325ix Alpine Wiess II on Black Leather Interior
    www.cardomain.com/id/speedracer750

Comment

Originally posted by v12spd View Post
      I have interest and a possible sale from a few people on craigslist, but frankly, another reason I held out, is because I want to sell it to someone on the board so it doesnt get trashed by some kid or left to rot in a driveway. I know it sounds stupid but I want a good buyer. lol.
      I did the same thing my 2000 ZR2 Blazer so I know exactly how you feel. :D Ended up selling it to some guy in Vermont who saw it posted on ZR2.com which made me somehow feel better about getting rid of it.

Comment

I did the same thing my 2000 ZR2 Blazer so I know exactly how you feel. :D Ended up selling it to some guy in Vermont who saw it posted on ZR2.com which made me somehow feel better about getting rid of it.
        I mean I know if I ever chose to sell my 7 (not bloody likely) I would ONLY sell it to one of the senior members of the e38.org board. I'm not that attached to this car but it served me well and is in much better shape than I make it out to be, I just wanted full disclosure. And this thread was started because I was concerned with the lack of board interest, not local interest. A few low ballers and a few interested parties later I was sketched out enough to want someone here to buy it if possible.

1990 BMW 525i 287k (RIP)
        All Daily Driven.

Comment

I feel like my car is pretty clean and free of idiosyncracies until I let someone else drive it and then I realize there are a lot of very small issues I tend to overlook because I have come to accept the car for what it is. Potential buyers will always pick up on and zero in on what is wrong and begin subtracting dollars from an offer they are willing to make.
          Well said, 88. That's one of the best ways to identify issues with a car, esp if it's going to go up for sale. Of course, one needs to have a friend willing to be honest and provide an unbiased opinion about the vehicle, not like the American Idiot (I mean idol) contestants with friends and family that tell them they can really sing! LOL

Hey V12, great looking car you got there btw.
          Last edited by RecycledTeen; 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM.
          Dave
          -----
          (OO=[][]=OO)
          _E30 FAN_

My E30's

Comment

your selling your ix already man? didn't you just get it a couple months back?

good luck though

Comment

(Usually just a lurker, but since you're close, I figured I'd reply) I saw your post too... it is the rust that scares people. Anyone from out of the rustbelt is mortified by what we take as normal rusting... but when people then see rust become rot, that's where you lose buyers. They then think that every piece of the car will be rusty... every bolt will be a pain... etc.

Good luck with the sale, nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by davey101 View Post
                your selling your ix already man? didn't you just get it a couple months back?

good luck though
                Yeah, I needed it as a winter car, and I think I'm bringing the 7 back this coming fall, or a prius *cries*. I got a 944 from a friend to tool around in for summer, and plan on keeping it for a few months. But I cant really justify a car here and in the midwest with gas prices going up and insurance and student loans piling up.

1990 BMW 525i 287k (RIP)
                All Daily Driven.

Comment

Originally posted by dubdub View Post
                  (Usually just a lurker, but since you're close, I figured I'd reply) I saw your post too... it is the rust that scares people. Anyone from out of the rustbelt is mortified by what we take as normal rusting... but when people then see rust become rot, that's where you lose buyers. They then think that every piece of the car will be rusty... every bolt will be a pain... etc.

Good luck with the sale, nevertheless.
                  Yeah... I feel ya, its what I looked for when I bought it and I'm happy to say theres no issues with rot on anything but those door sills. I'll let anyone get it checked out before buying, lets hope it goes soonish.

1990 BMW 525i 287k (RIP)
                  All Daily Driven.

Comment

Working...
                  X