Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between m20 block in iX and i models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between m20 block in iX and i models?

Hi iX gurus, I don't have an iX but my i motor is on its way out the door to car-part heaven. There's a guy locally selling a 325iX m20 complete with auto trans and transfer case for a really good deal.

My question to you all is: can I simply swap the motors and the oilpans and have it work? I think the iX has the front axles and diff going through the oilpan but not the block... can I simply swap the two pans and put the motor in my car? Or is the iX front drivetrain? going to be too much of a hassle/impossibility? If not, how much can I expect to be able to sell/part out the motor/trans/transfer case? The parts have 140k and supposedly ran well until the owner rolled the car.

Thanks!
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

can I simply swap the two pans and put the motor in my car?

yes and the oil pump

Comment

Originally posted by JAX S50 View Post
      can I simply swap the two pans and put the motor in my car?

yes and the oil pump

good luck

use search.
      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
      89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted
      89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
      88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone

Comment

key differences:

-intermediate shaft rotates opposite direction (drives the oil pump in reverse)
        -pressure bypass valve is built into the oil pump on the ix, you'll have to drill and tap for the i oil pump and valve
        -oil pump is different
        -slightly different bolt pattern for the oil pan, you have to drill and tap a couple holes
        -dipstick tube is in a different location. There isn't a casting spot on the ix block to drill for, but you can probably make something work.

I hope you kept your i motor for parts because you will need stuff off it for sure. it can be done but it's definitely more than simply swapping pans and dropping it in.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

whats so wrong with the i block that you can't clean it and swap the internals from the IX?
          88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
          89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
          89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
          88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            key differences:

-intermediate shaft rotates opposite direction (drives the oil pump in reverse)
            -pressure bypass valve is built into the oil pump on the ix, you'll have to drill and tap for the i oil pump and valve
            -oil pump is different
            -slightly different bolt pattern for the oil pan, you have to drill and tap a couple holes
            -dipstick tube is in a different location. There isn't a casting spot on the ix block to drill for, but you can probably make something work.

I hope you kept your i motor for parts because you will need stuff off it for sure. it can be done but it's definitely more than simply swapping pans and dropping it in.
            Wow I definitely did not know it was that different. I still have the i motor and it does work well enough to keep for a while. I think I will just keep looking for an i m20 instead of the iX drivetrain, it sounds like it will be more hassle than it is worth. Thanks for the info though!

@supernaughtIX- my i motor is having bad oil loss/consumption issues, like a quart every 5-600 miles. I think the rings or valve seats are bad, I know it blows bluish smoke on occasion. I was hoping that swapping a newer m20 in would be cheaper than refreshing the current one. Guess I need to head off to a shop to get a quote. The block itself is not bad, so I could swap the internals like pistons, rings, valves, etc, though for the price of the iX stuff($425 local) I don't know how that compares to getting a shop to fix the issues with the motor.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
            X