Tcase dead-ish... or dying I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tcase dead-ish... or dying I think

So I'm doing my clutch on a 5speed iX. When draining the fluids I paid the most attention to the t-case fluid. Unfortunately, unlike the last time when I changed fluids, I noticed pinkish blobs of stuff floating in the ATF....

The ligther pinkish (i guess from mixing with the ATF) blobs looked "snot-ish" in size and consistency.
    Not good rigth?

Is there a way to test a case on the bench (simulate the front wheel test). The last driving test I did it seemed that the case functioned properly although we all know these tests aren't exactly a precise science... The case can fail gradually right? How can I test it definitively now:

Is it possible at all to determine the condition of it without spending a grand on a new VC?

Does anyone have a used (but tested good) case for sale?

If I were to rebuild the case how difficult is it to install a new coupling? Anyone' s done it???

(.Y.) R cool.
    Falco rocks!

if there are blobs in your fluid, it's toast.

jack test is the best way to check, but you've already got it apart. You can try your hand at a used TC but it may be dead as well. The only sure way is new, or buy a $1500 car that you know has a good TC and part it out.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah...

I will be taking the Tcase off , dismantling and assessing...

Most likely at this stage, with everythig out and not wanting to do this again for a while I'll swallow the bitter pill of expense and get a new VC...

Any lead's on good prices for these? Pelican wants a grand, any better sources?

What else to do while I'm in htere?
      (.Y.) R cool.
      Falco rocks!

Comment

One more question:

By off chance (since I haven't seen it in with my own eyes) does any one know if there is a way to determine the VC's shape for the last time once out on the bench? Does it show signs of ware, leaks, cracks etc?

Just want to make sure I am not throwing out a good VC...
        (.Y.) R cool.
        Falco rocks!

Comment

well, if there are any cracks or leaks, it's dead. There really isn't a good way to bench test it without special equipment. it's possible it's just partially failed (they don't usually die all at once) but since you found blobs in your fluid it's safe to say that it has cracked and it will soon lose all limited slip functions.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Exactly!

I guess what I'm asking - trying to verbalize myself a bit better is: are there any physical symptomps on the VC (once outside) to confirm what I already strongly suspect. I know it'd be hard to simulate a dynamic test on the bench , so that's not considerable anymore.

Will there be a visual clue to a leak like a little hole to look fore or something?
            (.Y.) R cool.
            Falco rocks!

Comment

if it has leaked there will usually be a crack on the case somewhere. it's welded shut so there aren't any seals or anything to leak - I don't know how obvious a crack would be but I think you should be able to find it.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X