Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IX spare tire size differentiation- bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX spare tire size differentiation- bad idea?

I am running 205/60/15 Blizzaks on my IX, my spare is a 205/55/15. The difference in tire size is slight, but I didn't want to risk putting it in. It is a safer bet just to get a new tire for spare - or do you think this size difference wouldn't be an issue?

(I happen to believe that it would be a mistake to run even the slightest difference in tire size.)

I've included a picture of an IX just to get you guys excited.

I wouldn't run a different size tire for very long.
    -Andy

Comment

as slight as it may seem, that can add up when tracked for a long distance. You are better getting a more matched size tire, even if its a used non snow tire, something in 195-60 or 65 would be better. 185-65 would be a near match
      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
      89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted
      89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
      88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone
      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted

Comment

since this is just a spare, I don't see the big deal. Most of the time you only run on the spare until the original tire is fixed, no?

It should be fine.. for a spare. I wouldn't run a different size tire constantly though

p.s. That IX picture did get me excited

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
          since this is just a spare, I don't see the big deal. Most of the time you only run on the spare until the original tire is fixed, no?

It should be fine.. for a spare. I wouldn't run a different size tire constantly though

p.s. That IX picture did get me excited
          this isn't "any car". if you run a different size spare on the ix for very long (like more than a couple miles) it can destroy the VC in the transfer case. that's a $900 part by itself, plus labor and downtime.

that said, if you absolutely *had* to run a diff. sized tire, put it on the front. the front diff is open and will absorb some of the difference, and some will go into the planetary gears and VC in the transfer case. if you put it in the back, not only will you ruin the VC in your transfercase, but the one in the rear diff as well. But really you need to have the same size spare as the rest of your tires..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the difference in OD between 205/60/15 and 205/55/15 is just over 3/4" - which in my book is pretty significant. in actuality, it would amount to the spare tire having to spin 3.4% faster than the other wheels. that might not seem like much, but some say that on awd vehicles such as ours, using the same size tires but with different tread wear can result in damage. i dont have personal experience with that, but ive heard it from multiple sources. that 3/4" is going to be much more significant a difference than just variations in tread wear.

for my piece of mind I'd probably get another tire for the spare.

if youre going to continue running the same tire size year round, try going to a local tire shop and see if theyd be willing to sell you a used tire of that size.

i agree with nando regarding putting the mismatched tire on the front.

Comment

Working...
            X