the m20 in an iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the m20 in an iX

I know their is a difference in the m20 block in an iX than in a normal e30, Does anyone know all the differences, all I have heard is dipstick. I say this becasue I might pick up a spare m20 but its out of a RWD and I dont want to hit any major road blocks.
    Anything can be done

also oil pan, dip stick, has diff engine arms - maybe some more things

Comment

the block is a different casting entirely, it's not just that a hole is drilled in a different place. I was going to try to use a really clean B27 block for my car but I came to my senses when I had them side by side.

The most significant difference is the oil pump & intermediate shaft (it spins in the reverse direction). You could make a RWD block work with machining (you would need a peice machined to fit in the RWD's pressure overflow valve, the ix pump has it built in), but the ix pump will not directly bolt onto the RWD block.

personally I'd just get another ix block or rebuild the one you have.

the oil pan really has little to do with the block, other than there are 4 bolt holes in different locations. ;)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I asked becasue of all the used engines I have found only 1 is an iX so I was seeing if the others could work. I would just rebuild mine but that's a lot of down time
        Anything can be done

Comment

Working...
        X