Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20w 50 for my ix?

Hi guys,

Finally got the head back on the ix and am working on reassembling the engine compartment, but since I don't have the manual I wasn't sure which oil grade for an ix. The Haynes, Chilton and Bentley don't list the ix on the chart like they do the others. Do I use 20w 50 since the weather is breaking?

Also anyone know what the part is called that is attached to the bottom of the throttle body, looks to have a hose (vacuum) and a plug for a sensor attached. This one must be original based on the cracked rubber and bmw stamping, it is a big black rubber piece. I can't figure out which part it is to order a new one. I have a picture but need to download it too attach. Thought I would see if anyone could identify sine my broken arms slows me down.

same engine as an 325i/is, so why not?
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I thought so but I was curious if other ix'ers had a preference.

Comment

it's a little too thick for a stock M20 (in my opinion), but it's not going to hurt anything.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando, what do you run in yous for spring and summer?

Comment

20w50 M1, but it's not stock. I don't know, I just thought my stock M20 ran like shit with that heavy of an oil. I ran 10w40 castrol then.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

if it gets really cold in your neck of the woods (as does Iowa), you might want to consider a lighter oil in the winters and switch up to a heavier one in the spring and summer ... I'm running 5w-30 GTX for the time being, cause when I ran 10w-40 in the middle of winter, the oil was too thick and blew off my oil filter gasket. Clean up was fun ... cheers

Comment

Working...
              X