ix lowering springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ix lowering springs

What is the real reason I need to buy lowering springs that say for ix. Does this mean all other lowering springs will not work on the ix. I searched, but did not find a real answer.
    Just a lot of posts that say ix h/r springs for sale:)
    Any help would be great. I have a set of lowering springs, but the are for an ic; can I use them on the ix???
    thanks,
    jm

You cannot use the front springs. The ix has shorter front springs and strut dampers due to the axle/cv going through the strut knuckle vs a RWD e30.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

And since the iX naturally sits higher than other E30's, if you put RWD E30 lowering springs in the rear, the rear will sit WAY low and have alignment problems because the iX subframe mounts lower in the body than the RWD subframe.

Comment

Didn't even think about that, and I know the sub frame bushes are different since we have a local ix that we have been servicing for several years.

Out of curiosity, did a cross reference for the rear springs to see if they were only used in the ix, and apparently tourings use the same springs...

john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

thanks guys; just what I needed; I knew they did not fit, just did not know why:)
          jm

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Didn't even think about that, and I know the sub frame bushes are different since we have a local ix that we have been servicing for several years.

Out of curiosity, did a cross reference for the rear springs to see if they were only used in the ix, and apparently tourings use the same springs...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...926&series=E30
            The iX subframe bushings push the subframe ~12mm lower in the body than the RWD subframe bushings. The ride height that results in the correct suspension geometry is thus ~12mm higher than the RWD ride height.
            Did the Tourings have a higher stock ride height than the sedans/coupes?
            The touring's greater rear weight may be why it uses iX rear springs... The greater weight over the taller spring results in the normal RWD ride height (maybe?)

Comment

Working...
            X