OE Front Axle Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OE Front Axle Shafts

Does anyone have a set of BMW 325ix front half shafts? I am currently trying to find a company that will make new, possibly upgraded, front axle shafts for our cars. The goal would be to have another option to the new BMW shafts and possibly some performance upgrade. I found one company that might be able to do it but they need a set of OE half shafts (not aftermarket). I have an extra set but I'm not positive they are OE. They say Lobro in very faint stamping which makes me think aftermarket.

I'm looking for pictures to confirm if mine are OE or someone near CA that might be willing to lend the axles for inspection by this company.

I have two spare sets in my workshop, I'll take a couple pictures when I'm there
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Thanks D. Martijn! I've considered making my own CV joint adapters so I can use off-the-shelf aftermarket parts. I wonder if there would be interest as that as an option as well.

Comment

There were aftermarket CV shafts? Are you sure? Lobro was an OE manufacturer for BMW - maybe they had more than one company making them at the time.

I have a spare set as well but they're pretty worn. Man, even if it was half the price of new BMW (if they're not NLA - haven't checked in a while) it could be worth it. The set on my car now has 380,000 miles and they're not going to last forever..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm not sure if mine are 'aftermarket' to be honest. I figured if they were BMW OE they'd have nice crisp BMW stampings in them even if Lobro was the supplier but maybe I'm wrong on that. I imagine the company only needs the shafts to be OE and in good shape at the splines and bearing surfaces but I can confirm. Do your spare set have BMW stamped on them anywhere? The more data points I have the better I'd feel about saying mine were OE.

Comment

yeah I don't think any of mine say BMW on them - they were definitely originals to the cars they came from too. I think typically it was just a sticker, which is likely long gone by now.

I can go double check but I'll have to dig them out of the "spider corner" of my garage, lol.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

lol Good luck! If you know anyone in California that has OE shafts maybe they could drive to the place and show them. Otherwise I'll ship mine.

Comment

I had a look at my front axles and they also don't have a BMW logo stamped on them.
                Since I painted these fairly thick, I think I was able to make out the Lobro logo as well as W-Germany stamped in them.
                1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Thanks D.Martijn! If Nando confirms the same thing I'll know that mine are actually OE.

Comment

Working...
                  X