Polish early chrome bumpers and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish early chrome bumpers and trim

Currently trying to restore my chrome trim including the bumpers and window trim etc.. I have read on the forums that the bumpers are in fact aluminium that has been polished and anodized from factory. I am thinking to sand them down to bare alu, sand up to 2000 grit and polish, and get them anodized at a local shop. Would this be a good way to go? I don't really want to buy brand new bumpers.

What about the window trim and side trim. Is this aluminium too?

Thanks.
    -E30 323i 1983
    -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Yeah you can do that. You can also try ceramic coating them after polishing but not sure how long that holds up vs anodizing. The window trim is also anodized aluminum
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

ZeKahr I am still unsure if its aluminium or something else. Aluminium is not magnetic and I am able to stick a magnet on the bumper without it falling off.
      -E30 323i 1983
      -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Comment

Early ROW or "Euro" bumpers are steel, US early bumpers are aluminum, late bumpers are plastic. Steel bumpers are probably chrome plated, but it could be something else that is similar.

Comment

I have refinished 3 rear bumpers. The first one I sanded down, polished and clear coated. The next two, I stripped using hot water and a whole can of Drano.

the Drano method worked much easier, but it was still a lot of work.

I have been told that oven cleaner will take off anodize. I'm going to try that next.

Comment

roguetoaster Okay! makes sense now, as i have the Aus spec e30 with the Euro bumpers. Cheers for the info.
            -E30 323i 1983
            -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skitzy777 View Post
              roguetoaster Okay! makes sense now, as i have the Aus spec e30 with the Euro bumpers. Cheers for the info.
              Where are you located?

With the chrome Euro bumpers polishing can only help so much.
              If they are buggered, a re-chrome may be required.
              E30 320i vert
              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post

Where are you located?.
                Australia. Yeah seems re-chrome is whats needed in my case, they are pretty gone.
                -E30 323i 1983
                -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X