Repairing my shortened rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
    wow looks very nice! excellent work, and i think you owe 80s book guy a thank you.
    That book was written in '03. :D

Thanks for all the compliments doods, means a lot.

Comment

what was the brand/type of platci epoxy that you used? and where did you get it?
      88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
      85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

I got it at Napa, I don't remember the exact brand, it was like $6 per tube.

Comment

Looks a lot like Devcon Plastic-Welder epoxy. You can find it basically in any hardware store worth their salt that has a good glue section. The Devcon stuff comes in a solid black epoxy tube.

Comment

Yeah, it was in a black tube, I don't remember the brand, that might have been it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
              That book was written in '03. :D

Thanks for all the compliments doods, means a lot.
              regardless of the book date, that guy is clearly stuck in or around the time the Macintosh was released.

Comment

Without question. :D

Comment

Looks great, but man I hate bodywork though. I have a ton of respect for people who can delve into it without qualms.
                  Originally posted by BillBrasky
                  E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
                  1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
                  1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
                  1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
                  2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

More More More, show the install too! I am going to start this project this summer!
                    Randall Racing and Engineering
                    Acworth, Georgia, 30101
                    http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

I have to get them repainted, which will probably be in the next couple of weeks. Will get more pics then.

Comment

Great work

2 questions.

Did you use Quiksteel for the expoxy? What brand would you recommend.

In terms of the paint for the bumper trim, what brand did you use?

Was looking for something OEM. I went to Pep Boys and they had a bunch of plastic paints that adhere well to rubber etc. Wondering what best looks like OEM.

I might just have to paint the entire front and rear to make them match.

In my case, I just have scrapes on some older euro trim. I want to try to get them repaired first before re-ordering a new set. Thanks!

Also wondering if anyone has done this procedure with an E28 MT1 trunk spoiler to shorten it (to fit an E30). That would wild but it would be an awesome project if executed perfectly.

I'm off to home depot to try to secure the spot filler. I'm not cutting anything in my repairs, just degreasing, cleaning, filling and painting. I'm skipping the primer stuff since there is no need. I am probably using "bondo glazing and spot putty"

Comment

Working...
                        X