Paint under/around hood roundel dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint under/around hood roundel dirty

I am replacing my hood roundel and upon removing the old one, I noticed there's a brownish/gray ring of filth. I bought Goo Gone Automotive, but that did not remove the nasty dirty ring. Any tips? I'm guessing it's from years and years of build-up since the paint is original. Thanks!

Goo gone is probably something like acetone, you likely have years of progressive layers of likely wax and dirt, so good scrubbing and potentially a light abrasive like polish should do the trick. Don't be too aggressive/sloppy or you will remove paint at the high/roll over transition point out of the roundel well.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Goo gone is probably something like acetone, you likely have years of progressive layers of likely wax and dirt, so good scrubbing and potentially a light abrasive like polish should do the trick. Don't be too aggressive/sloppy or you will remove paint at the high/roll over transition point out of the roundel well.
      Thanks for the feedback! I will give it a try.

Comment

You could use some compound and rub it in by hand with medium pressure. Then wipe it clean with a micro fiber cloth. Repeat the process until you remove the layers that are causing the clear coat to show brownish built up. Then use a polishing formula after to seal the clear coat.

Comment

Working...
        X