Looking at a 87 325. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 87 325. What do you think?

I'm looking to get into the E30 world. I just need a reliable car that is fun to drive. While I enjoy a nice looking car, affordability is also an issue. This car was advertised as "minor rust in the wheel wells." Now, that obviously isnt true. It also has a pretty loud engine tick that didn't seem to go away after it warmed up. Lifters or chain tensioner...? I can take it for $900 but what do you guys think? is there a cleaner, less noisy one out there for not too much more money? Is it worth the gamble that the lifters could be on their way out for $900? I just want the opinions of some people who know these cars.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
    Attached Files

there are no "lifters" in that motor, the loud valve tick is normal, wouldn't pay over 600 for it and that would be kinda high, fuck rust.
    97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
    2001 330ci 5 speed
    83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

I would say keep looking.......rust is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TopOfTheLine89 View Post
        there are no "lifters" in that motor, the loud valve tick is normal, wouldn't pay over 600 for it and that would be kinda high, fuck rust.
        Thanks! The guy was a complete idiot then. He blamed it on the lifters. Why would I want to buy a car from a complete idiot? 180k, by the way. Thanks for your guys advise.

Comment

the rust is the imediate no no.. i mean, the valves need adjustment once in a blue moon, but if its' more then 400 bucks, then it has no value whatsoever.. but for parts it might be worth it.. thats the main issue with our cars, finding parts.. lol

Comment

wouldn't pick it up for free

Comment

I would be skeptical of the 180k too. The odometer gear probably went out a few years back. Talk him down to about 500 and get it. The rust is pretty bad but it would still be a good budget car. If you need a cheap car then the 325e is a great choice, these cars seem to last forever.
              West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
              ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

keep looking imo...

Comment

Pass
                  1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

unless your planning to put some m3 quarter panels id pass
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

bad idea that rust is horrible

Comment

No! move on to the next

Comment

run and run fast!!
                          sigpic

Comment

way over priced. i'd give hime 300 bucks for it. Thats about all its worth with that rust. I bought mine 3 years ago, zero rust, small tear in the driver seat, 87 325e coupe, for 800 bucks. Ran great. Looked great.
                            Originally posted by Beastolizer
                            what is the difference between the 12 LED and 6 LED and 24 LED?
                            Originally posted by norcalE30
                            you may want to sit down, this is complex...
                            one has 6 LEDs, one has 12 LEDs, and one has 24 LEDs

Comment

dont walk, RUN away from that one. I hot my 87 325 for 650 with no rust, and needing a master cyl for 650. With that rust, its good for parts, unless you really love doing body work
                              I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Working...
                              X