Plastic front bumper on early model w/ iS airdam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic front bumper on early model w/ iS airdam

Will a plastic late-model front bumper bolt straight onto an early-model front end with the iS front airdam? By this, I mean Is the mounting area the same height, comparing the height of the plastic bumper and the diving board shrouds? It looks to be the same.

(Robby and Fred, I hope you don't mind me using pics of your cars)

Please, no bullshit about how it will look or how I shouldn't do it. I just want to know what I asked.

I'll measure both my cars tonight and let you know the dimensions.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
    1989 325iC M50 Vert
    1989 325i Coupe
    1991 318is
    1995 318ti Club Sport
    2006 330i e90
    2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

I've seen that setup before on a few cars, but I don't recall if they were late model cars with early air dams...or the other way around.

Comment

Seen it on several cars. Looks like shit.

The front curve of the plastic bumper compared to the airdam is too much of a difference.

The airdamn and bumper are flush in the middle, and the airdamn is set in several inches on either side.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i've seen it once, it doesn't look right. the airdam comes up to the front of the plastic bumper, since plastic bumpers are much shorter. I think painted and tucked diving boards would look much better if you want to keep the early airdam.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            i've seen it once, it doesn't look right. the airdam comes up to the front of the plastic bumper, since plastic bumpers are much shorter. I think painted and tucked diving boards would look much better if you want to keep the early airdam.
            Yeah, I'm going to agree with you there, I was just wanting to look into options of something a little more unique.

But I think that painted/tucked boards look will look really good with the airdam, as evidenced by Hella 325's car (I don't think his are tucked).

Comment

Yeah his car is exceptionally clean. I myself would look into that if I had non wavy bumper surrounds. I've got other ideas though.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Ok, I've just been sent some pics of a car with this done, and it looks really good...

Obviously, this is a track car, and the parts haven't been lined up and fitted perfectly, but it's enough to give you a damn good idea of how it looks. :up:

Comment

mine are tucked, just not much, i may tuck it a little more later, but they are tucked about 2 inches dont remember exactly.

Russell
                  1987 325is
                  1992 240sx coupe
                  1994 525i

Comment

I've thought about doing this before. I think it looks great. It looks like a smaller version of a GTS front.
                    sigpic

Comment

That looks like complete shit IMO. It doesnt fit well together at all.

Here is some idiot on cardomain's car, also looks like shit.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I don't dig it at all.
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                          I don't dig it at all.
                          No one is required to. It's an idea I've been kicking around, nothing more.

Comment

I don't think it looks too bad, I quite like its aggressiveness actually. But it might look a little better with painted euro bumpers - the curves may line up better.

Comment

Originally posted by sovann
                              I don't think it looks too bad, I quite like its aggressiveness actually. But it might look a little better with painted euro bumpers - the curves may line up better.
                              Euro bumpers will not fit with that airdam. They are half as tall as plastic bumpers.

Comment

Working...
                              X