Racing Dynamics Rear Apron owners, give me some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, that sucks.

Mine fits ok on the euros but my understanding was it was actually designed for the international bumpers but would fit the diving boards. It came with all the stuff and instructions to mount to the late model valance actually. Thats it, the stuff for the late model.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
      Hmmm, that sucks.

Mine fits ok on the euros but my understanding was it was actually designed for the international bumpers but would fit the diving boards. It came with all the stuff and instructions to mount to the late model valance actually. Thats it, the stuff for the late model.
      yah the early valence is quite small so the RD apron has no problems clearing them. Come to think of it, I dont think I have seen a pic of the RD apron on late model valence.
      I just checked the RD website, and their front is installed on plastic bumper, whereas their rear is shown installed on diving boards. :?

Oh well... it's not a huge issue, little bit of work here and there will make the thing fit nicely. As with most aftermarket stuff, it doesn't fit perfect, I'll see what the shops say.
      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

That sucks, Hope you get it sorted. I just got a 89 325i today and mine has half a Zender setup on it so I don't believe I'll be selling the zender rear piece now.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3
          That sucks, Hope you get it sorted. I just got a 89 325i today and mine has half a Zender setup on it so I don't believe I'll be selling the zender rear piece now.
          thanks Greg,

Do you have any pictures of your new E30?
          ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Looks to me like it could move up about 2 inches. Almost looks flush with the bumper. Do you have close up pics from the side? Everything looks just fine otherwise, the gap between the apron and bumper is consistent. Those new ones are made deeper so that they clear the late style valance.

I would trade you mine since I think it would fit much better, however I bet you it wouldnt even cover the bottom of the late valance.

ill see what pictures i have here, might help you

this is how its mounted with metal bumps, notice how low it sits. notice where the exhaust sits and look at this pic.

have to click these

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

on metals
            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

bumper tuck was crooked

plastique
            Old and improved:

Comment

No pics yet but I'll get all three snapped this week when I pick it up from stealer tomorrow.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

EtaSport, thanks for the pics.

Looks like you have that small gap too above the apron.. I guess that's normal. I was thinking that it's suppose to sit completely flush with the bumper.

I think that with a little bit of work, it's gonna come out nicely. The only think that's bothering me as of now is that it's not extending all the way around the side, so I can't really put the bolts on the ends into the valence.
                I'm very happy with how the color matched, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to match the color at all and that it would come out looking really odd - so I should stop the bitching and just get my ass to the bodyshop :o
                ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Yeah, im going to try and work on the gap issue in the spring time. You dont really want to know how I had to attach the thing. I had to cut off a whole lot of material, and then fabricate new mounts out of alluminum.

What is the part that wraps around the inner fender look like? Is that where you have problems? Since the early valance drops down all the way I'm guessing that the inner edge of the RD just sits flush with the inner edge of the valance? Mine actually curves in, large amount of material actually.

Hope it all works out. Looks pretty hott.
                  Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
                    Yeah, im going to try and work on the gap issue in the spring time. You dont really want to know how I had to attach the thing. I had to cut off a whole lot of material, and then fabricate new mounts out of alluminum.

What is the part that wraps around the inner fender look like? Is that where you have problems? Since the early valance drops down all the way I'm guessing that the inner edge of the RD just sits flush with the inner edge of the valance? Mine actually curves in, large amount of material actually.

Hope it all works out. Looks pretty hott.
                    thanks man. I'll keep you updated and see what is requried to get it to fit perfectly. Your car inspired me to get the RD apron btw, still one of my fav E30s around. I don't think that there is any other rear option that looks good, aside from the M-tech II, but it only looks good if it has M-tech II body all around. I actually prefer the stock IS lip over the Mtech II body, that's why the only option that I had was the RD rear.
                    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

royal,
                      do you think you could post a pic of a close up on the wheel well? this would clear up(for me) what you are talking about poor fitment.. it seems that all the RD aprns I ahve seen have had a bit of a gap above them. perhaps this is to allow the bumper to move in case it was tapped?
                      I am trying to figure out if it is worth dealing with the late model apron issue. seems to look fine from the picture you posted, but black is rather good at masking imperfection.
                      thanks,
                      -p
                      l

Comment

here you go bud, check this out.

Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                        X