Size of Sunroof Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size of Sunroof Panel

Anyone got their car and a ruler handy? I need the size of the panel for the sunroof in an '88 Coupe. (I sort of assume that they are all the same).

I don't need exact down to the 1/8th of an inch, just a pretty close size.

Mine still leaks a bit after I swapped it out, and I'm thinking about just getting either a piece of ClearBra, or vinyl wrap cut to cover the sunroof so I can park it outside and drive it in the bad weather. I'll get around to getting a new seal and fixing up the drains later (I think one is clogged) but for now I think a it's better to just cover it and keep it dry.

There is a sign place right next door that could cut it but I don't know the size to ask for. I'll just add a few inches to the measuments to cover the gap.

Thanks,

the sunroof "seal" doesn't fully seal out water, it seals out air so it's not loud while you drive.

if it "leaks", it means the drains are clogged.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yes I know it's not water tight, but the seal that came with the replacement from BMR wasn't that good so if it gets a spray of water (tested it with a hose) I get water inside the car. I'm pretty sure that it dripped since I ended up with water on the center hump in the rear, so either the drain tray filled up and went over, or it actually came through the seal with enough force to miss the drains.

At this point I'm looking for a simple fix to just seal it up so that I can drive it in the rain, and leave it outside the garage when I need to. I'll replace the seals and chase the drains out.

With all that being said, I can measure it myself when I get home tonight, just looking to see if anyone can tell me the measurements now so I can walk into the sign shop and see about getting it cut.

Mike

Comment

Got a rough price based on a guestimate size. About $25 for 4 year vinyl cut to size. They have all sorts of colors so I'm going to try and match the red, or I could just go with black so it looks like a glass roof from far away.

Comment

Sounds to me like your sunroof isn't aligned properly and /or the drains are plugged.

just my .02 cents

Comment

I suspect that you're 100% right. The seal that came with the replacement isn't the best. I really just did it because I have plenty of other things on the list to do and messing with a sunroof that is designed to let water in and drain is way down on the list. The vinyl is just a temporary fix so that I don't have to worry about the car in the rain. I'll fix it next year, for now I'd just like to drive it. The sunroof is such a PITA to work on that I don't want to pull it out again to snake the drains (no working so I have to actually remove the panel to get in there. I already fought the jammed/rusted panel out and replaced most of the track which required me to assemble/disassemble several times (I'm an idiot for not thinking to snake the drains then).

Since I have a replacement motor from the salvage yard I'm going to attempt to get it running next summer and hopefully clear up the leaking problem. Everyone I've spoken with just gimmices thinking about working on these things. I'm trying to seal it without doing anything that will permenatly ruin the chances of getting it working again.

Originally posted by Stanley Rockefeller View Post
            Sounds to me like your sunroof isn't aligned properly and /or the drains are plugged.

just my .02 cents

Comment

Working...
            X