Can you have a controlled rusted look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rblevins View Post
    Yea Salt water and peroxide should do ya trick over night.
    nope, an hour
    '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
    '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
    '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
    '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

i just pee'd all over my car, hoping it will smell some so i get that old beater POS smell. Ill go take a pic of it so you can smell it.

(cant wait till this fad catches on)
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
        i just pee'd all over my car, hoping it will smell some so i get that old beater POS smell. Ill go take a pic of it so you can smell it.

(cant wait till this fad catches on)
        I hear ya on that!!!!

I don't get this rusty hood trunk thing... When ever i see a car with a whole rusty body panel, i got to think, they didnt have the money to paint the part, or they was too lazy to do it rite, or they just dont care about their car. Then people with "nice" cars go out and copy them on purpose, that just boggles the mind :???:

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I didn't realize how cool all those old pile of shit '78 monte carlos were when I lived in Flint, MI.

Apparently every broke-ass old motherfucker was just baller as hell and I did not know it!

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            ^Geeze. Just spit it out.
            The previous owner of his car sprayed it with a paint that was full of ground copper. Then pee'd on it or something to oxidize the textured finish. You probably remember that, but now I've said it so everyone knows.

Hint- You could do the same with ground iron or steel..

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              I didn't realize how cool all those old pile of shit '78 monte carlos were when I lived in Flint, MI.

Apparently every broke-ass old motherfucker was just baller as hell and I did not know it!
              no,you gotta put $3000 dollar wheels on it first ;) lol

" WHY DO YOU NEED 300HP TO DO THE SPEED LIMIT?"

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                surface rust will actually protect the metal below.
                Lies.

There's a reason iron keeps rusting, and it's not magic.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Hell yeah! I like this look! I'm working on mine right now:

I just ordered a set of BBS RS01937536 off of Vortex for only $4,978! I'm gonna slam it too with -7.8 degrees of camber!

Seriously, I spend hours in my garage trying to fix my rust and you want to create it. I totally enjoy M. Burroughs car. I also like the old team rust VW crew that started this "rat stylez" trend back in '00-01. Problem is that if you are trying to stand out, this really isn't the way to do it anymore. Do a google search of "rusty vw" or "rusty bmw" and you'll find cars that were styled just this way. A lot of them.

I encourage people to try different things and shoot for a new look, but if we keep copying off of each other, the modification and restoration scene could be robbed of ingenuity. If you want to be different, try doing something that can't be classified in a google search. You can also do the rust thing. It's your car and your call. /rant

The Performance BMW issue No.07/2010 July article "Plan B" gives detailed information on how Mike Burroughs get his rust look to work.

Comment

But this looks better and will actually last.

Comment

Im bumping so you can have nightmares tonight ;)

sweet dreams lol

" WHY DO YOU NEED 300HP TO DO THE SPEED LIMIT?"

Comment

im doing a hood tomorrow. if your going to go through with it, go to your local junk yard and pick up a hood. don't rust your good hood incase you ever get sick of it..

Comment

Originally posted by ogbimmer View Post
                          Im bumping so you can have nightmares tonight ;)

sweet dreams lol
                          Total beater status. This is how a rusted hood car should look, because you obviously don't give a fuck.

Surface rust is a whole different beast than rot. When water sits in a spot and is continuously soaked the rust eats holes. Surface rust like this will take years to cause much of a problem structurally. Just don't rust the entire hood; keep paint on the seams, under the hood, and on the linkage. Those crevasses will rot in short order.

If you want bare steel and slow rust but it with diesel or oil. This is how steel tube stock is kept most of the time and the combination of oil and slow rust will keep the metal in fairly good shape for a long time.

Comment

I rusted the top half of my car. Pretty easy. First off buy a real junker and it will come with a lot of rust to begin with. the problem with this rust is it is mostly around the rear valence, gas tank and jack points.

If you are wanting more than that buy the 3M scrub pads and an angle grinder and get to work. This is a pain in the ass and will take forever. I probably spent $50 on scrub pads and I haven't even finished it yet.

Next take salt (I prefer kosher salt as it is closer to sea salt and has a better taste.) mix in a good helping of water and just pour it all over the bare metal. Let it cook in the sun and you will start to show rust in no time!
                            1992 318ic

Comment

Kind of an older thread, but here's one of our shop trucks. We found the paint at a winery, it was used to paint wine kegs to make them look rustic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
                                Kind of an older thread, but here's one of our shop trucks. We found the paint at a winery, it was used to paint wine kegs to make them look rustic.

I dig the girl, the truck, and the paint..

Comment

Working...
                                X