Rust Issue - Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust Issue - Fixable?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I have been a member over at bimmerforums for a few weeks and I had been lurking there for quite some time before registering.

As some might have read on the other forum, I'm about to purchase a 91 318is. It's got a quite nice interior, Ok engine and really great suspension. Bilstein PSS9 and Eibach ground control shocks, racing dynamics front strut bar, urethane subframe bushings, front and rear Technic sway bars. The car also has Brembo discs and Hawk HP pads. The only issue with the car is rust. Below I have attached pictures of the rust on the car. The rear valence is a goner, it was destroyed when the rear tire blew.

My question is, is the rust you see on the car fixable or should I run from this car? To some of you, this might look like a parts car but with all the salt and the horrible winters we get, it's not that bad. This 318is being my first BMW, I just don't know if I should begin my odyssey in the German automotive realm with that particular car. Budget isn't tight but the other E30's for sale that are in my price range are either 4 door, stock, or both. Apart from the rust, that Red w/black interior, 2 door, Is car is the ideal combination of an E30 for me (with the only exception being a red w/black interior E30 M3!). I can sand, prime, paint. Been there, done that. As for the valence, there's a parts car that can be had for like 500$. I don't know if "swapping" the valence is doable but I'm just saying.

My friends won't bother helping me, them and their Mazda's and Honda's all hate BMW's so instead of telling me yay or nay, it's more like "don't buy BMW's, they're ugly". The only person who can answer me correctly is my girlfriend, but she doesn't know anything about cars - That's coming from her mouth.

So what are your thoughts... Fixable or too far in?

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Files

I have seen cars that have been recovered from similar/worse than that. I myself like to spend my time driving+enjoying my car and when I have to pop the hood or turn wrenches, I like it to involve adding and improving the car.

I would rather spend 3-5k upfront for a rust free car rather than spend a bunch of time trying to salvage one that has cancer already. I am sure there are some body-work and fabricator type people who get a lot of satisfaction from bringing one back to life though.

Comment

Somethings are fixable and some arent. If youre pretty good with a welder and have spare time and patience then go for it. Be sure to check out the undercarriage, if that rear valence is bad the floors must have some issues as well. The B Pillar thats a removable part and so is the front valence so thats not to worry.
      92 Granite Silver Vert
      M60B40 5spd

Comment

The underside of the car is fine. It looks like it has seen only like a winter... My theory (and my friend's) for the body being in such bad shape compared to the floors of the car is that about 5-6 years ago, the guy thought that his paint was bad so he probably paid like a grand to some jackass to have it repainted. Poor prep, poor job, poor worksmanship gave this car no luck when it was driven in snow for a few months.

@Sagaris I intend to do the work on the car myself. If I was to get a stock E30 for like 3-4k and put the same suspension/brake setup that this red 318is has, I'd have like a 8k car, which is not in my budget right now. Paint, sandpaper and abrasive for the sandblaster aren't as expensive as suspension/brakes.

Comment

The front part is replaceable, the pillars (I will assume here since this is an e30) come off with three screws in the back, it could be that the plates them self's are rusted (easy swap).

The rear wheel weel still shows signs of metal, go right now and sand it down with a drill all around, there will be more rust you can see but do it ASAP to stop the spread, cover it in rust stripper then follow with rust convertor, sand it and prime it to protect it.

Same goes for anything else you can salvage. Bumper is replaceable to.

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

Then you have answered your own question on if its worth fixing for you then. Make sure you weld in panels instead of half assing it atleast and easy on body filler before it comes back again.
            92 Granite Silver Vert
            M60B40 5spd

Comment

My car was worse than that and i've recovered it. But remember rust is always worse then what you think so check those floor boards again. Also check license plate lights

Looks like a nice car though. If it's cheap get it
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

That all looks like surface rust and
                Shouldn't be a major job to repair it, worst of it would be matching up the color after repairing it. See if the seller will let you spend some time looking under the carpet so you don't find any real rot after you buy it. And btw, be careful mentioning your girlfriend around here or you will be hounded for pics..

Comment

What about the rear valance? I found a parts '91 318i, same color with almost perfect rear valance. Could I cut the valance all the way around on both cars right under the bumper so that when welded, the weld doesn't show because it is hidden by the plastic bumper.

I didn't know I could swap the front valance...

My main worries were about the wheel well and the part below the left kidney.

Edit:

"Also check license plate lights". I did. That part (along with the vertical part behind the license plate) has to be cut and replaced but since it's just a flat piece and the fact that it will be hidden behind the license plate, I didn't bother mentionning it because I know I can do that. The fenders, I wasn't sure.

The lowest he will go as far as pricing is 3.2k. It's a bit high when compared to the US market but the same car (shape) but without the suspension/brake work would sell for close to 2k here.

I also lifted the carpets in front and behind the front seats. I also removed the rear seat with the help of the owner so that I could check for rust. It was all good. I had the car on a lift and 2 mechanics told me the floor was in really good shape.

As for the GF, I'll get pictures at some point later on. If I don't buy that E30, I'm either getting that "Ok" 4 door, stock, 325i or like a cheap but cheap to maintain Chevy Cavalier for like a grand plus I'm buying a Rotax 125 Kart to get my fix. That'll round up to about the same price as the E30.
                  Last edited by Eddie Lives On; 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X