How to make a skid plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a skid plate?

I'm about to drop my car with the gb JOM coilovers and want to buy a skid Plate but can't seem to find one under 200. Seems like a bit much IMO. I do work in a body shop And have access to about anything I would need to fabricate my own. However the dilema is I would need a decent diagram with measurement and/or an actual skid plate. This should be a fairly easy project with some basic welding skills. It would make a really cool how to thread as well. Any takers?

thats why they cost money, research and development. gotta pay to play. either buy someone elses hard work, or do the work yourself.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
    Originally posted by JakeP
    with a coathanger

Comment

I really don't think they're that complex. I like fabricating anyway, I'll give it a shot...pictures would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Get one from RaceSkids. "ejnight" on this forum
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

They cost money for a reason. $200 is not much when it comes to something that will protect you from a crushed oil pan
          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

1/8" steel $50 + shipping

To make a simple one just get a piece of steel and put one bend in it. Use some square tubing to offset it from the subframe and another piece to bolt it to the radiator core support. It is suitable for light duty and saved my oil pan plenty of times. Did an engine swap so had to make a new one to fit the bigger pan. If you want ideas for designs look on rally forums.

Comment

raceskid doesn't not work for me. i busted 2 oil pan with them useless raceskid. u-brace with skid plate is the way to go. my cousin work for a metal fab company and he say for the size and thickness of a raceskid is around 25 dollar to make. including paint and installation hardware should be around 50 dollar at the most. with shipping it should be another 20-25 dollar. all add up to $95-$100 shipped.so ej is profiting close to $100 per plate. hopefully ejknight is in the process of making an u-brace. i'll diff get the u-brace if ej knight decide to make one.
              Last edited by mr.vang; 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM.
              Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Thank you AlarmedBread
                Originally posted by AlarmedBread View Post

1/8" steel $50 + shipping

To make a simple one just get a piece of steel and put one bend in it. Use some square tubing to offset it from the subframe and another piece to bolt it to the radiator core support. It is suitable for light duty and saved my oil pan plenty of times. Did an engine swap so had to make a new one to fit the bigger pan. If you want ideas for designs look on rally forums.

Comment

And thank you Mr.vang that is the exact thing that was going through my head. It's only 10 gauge steel I have plenty thicker metals lying around the shop
                  Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                  raceskid doesn't not work for me. i busted 2 oil pan with them useless raceskid. u-brace with skid plate is the way to go. my cousin work for a metal fab company and he say for the size and thickness of a raceskid is around 25 dollar to make. including paint and installation hardware should be around 50 dollar at the most. with shipping it should be another 20-25 dollar. all add up to $95-$100 shipped.so ej is profiting close to $100 per plate. hopefully ejknight is in the process of making an u-brace. i'll diff get the u-brace if ej knight decide to make one.

Comment

mine has worked out for me hitting a flowmaster muffler at 40mph so mehhhh

you are leaving out the water jet or lazer cut time for the holes in it. that also costs money based on the size of the run you make. more pieces, the better the cost spread it is. the same goes for the powder coating.

if there was not a profit to making it, what is the point to mass produce it?
                    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

WTF did you hit? Are you sure it was installed properly?

I've hit a raised manhole cover at ~35... enough to make me close my eyes and cringe as I hit it.

You're going to have damaged suspension components if you break a pan though the RaceSkid.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Yeah.. my EJskid plate has held up through the toughest of sensible crap.
                        With my housings sectioned and car heavily lowered, the rebound in my suspension travel would make the plate tap the ground all the time, especially on the freeway.

Never a problem, idk how people are bending/destroying your pans with them on. Shitty motor mounts making the pan contact the plate?
                        Last edited by ak-; 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Same, my raceskid works amazingly, saved my life multiple times haha.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                            WTF did you hit? Are you sure it was installed properly?

I've hit a raised manhole cover at ~35... enough to make me close my eyes and cringe as I hit it.

You're going to have damaged suspension components if you break a pan though the RaceSkid.
                            drill up front, install bolts, remove steering rack bolts, install bolts. is there other ways to install it? having a skid is better then not having one but i would never feel safe with just a skid. even raising the motor a bit still scare me. with an u-brace, the skid can not be push up and sandwich your pan. both of my pans were busted due to this issue.
                            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

drill up front, install bolts, remove steering rack bolts, install bolts. is there other ways to install it? having a skid is better then not having one but i would never feel safe with just a skid. even raising the motor a bit still scare me. with an u-brace, the skid can not be push up and sandwich your pan. both of my pans were busted due to this issue.
                              Sucks to roll hard?

lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X