Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting My e30 in a week. Any thoughts on colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    He painted the oil cooler blue, the cowel vents, and moldings as well.
    I bet his muffler is blue too along with the spare wheel well.
    I also read that the roundel was taped off LOL?

Poor preparation usually leads to shoddy work.
    Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
    why on earth would you have him paint the cowl vents?
    i wanna hear this please, humor me over:nice:
    Originally posted by SacE30 View Post
    There black. There not blue
    Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
    if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a poor prep job. have a nice day.....
    The oil cooler is blue, people do this kinda stuff all the time, and usually hate it afterwords. I think it's probably easy enough to swap back to stock.
    The cowl vents are black.
    The moldings are blue. Again, people do this all the time.

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a $1300 paint job.

Exactly what the fuck are you expecting for a $1300 color-change?

YOU have a nice day, this isn't your car.
    Originally posted by FunfGan
    My car is so racecar it makes peoples head's hurt. Literally.
    Originally posted by lambo
    This is r3v, your logic is useless. We went race-prepped, factory-built, street cars for the price of a loaf of bread.

Comment

Originally posted by J308 View Post
      The oil cooler is blue, people do this kinda stuff all the time, and usually hate it afterwords. I think it's probably easy enough to swap back to stock.
      The cowl vents are black.
      The moldings are blue. Again, people do this all the time.

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a $1300 paint job.

Exactly what the fuck are you expecting for a $1300 color-change?

YOU have a nice day, this isn't your car.
      Well said sir. Well said .

Comment

Dude. You really want all of r3v to believe JUST the oil cooler is blue?
        I bet a shit load of engine components/suspension behind the cooler and to the side of it is ALSO blue.
        His friend didn't paint the cooler to match the car. That's fucking dumb.

It was poorly prepped and he didn't care.

And $1300 is more than enough to have a great paint job on such a small car like an e30.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I bet a shit load of engine components/suspension behind the cooler and to the side of it is ALSO blue.

And $1300 is more than enough to have a great paint job on such a small car like an e30.
          Sike [sic]. $1300 won't get you a great paint job unless the painter is losing money compared to what he would charge someone else. Production shops would charge more, and it wouldn't be great. Custom shops would charge triple at the minimum.

And the OP doesn't want anyone to believe anything. He asked for opinions on colors, and is showing off his paint. A lot of people in here are strictly here to bash. That's the fact. He may have tried to convince someone of something while trying to defend the constant bashing, but that doesn't change what he was trying to do.

Do you really want all of r3v to believe you are here to dole out some constructive criticism?

I agree with a lot of the points made, but damn I'm tired of the bitching.
          This is r3v, your logic is useless. We went race-prepped, factory-built, street cars for the price of a loaf of bread.

Comment

This is my point exactly. Im not irritated with the OP, but his painter is another story. $1300 bucks should not look like a fucking half assed $500 Maaco special. Too many cars out there (mine included) get half assed resprays and the owners either dont know better, or have the rose colored glasses on (ooohhhhh its shiny) and dont see the obvious defects in the job that was done. For 1300, I expect a decent level of prep and professionalism, freind or not, this paint job is gonna represent the owner for many years to come. When the paint starts peeling in a few months from a "bad reaction" and poor edge prep, hopefully the OP kicks his painter square in the nuts.
            I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
              Ill be waiting.

When I read this lame post... All I could think of was

No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Besides all the bitching. How long do I have to wait Untill I can wash my car, not just with water . But scrub it with a brush. Because my old ass car cover got dust all over it.

Comment

I wouldn't use a brush.

It's probably safe to wash it with a mitt, etc, but talk to your painter first. He may recommend wiping it down with something else.

Get some info from your painter on what it was painted with then spend some time reading about washing at autopia, specifically the two mitt methods, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by SacE30 View Post
                    Besides all the bitching. How long do I have to wait Untill I can wash my car, not just with water . But scrub it with a brush. Because my old ass car cover got dust all over it.

brushes, check with your painter. Paint will still be curing for some time, how long depends on how much (and if) hardener was used in the paint. if no hardener was used (some do, some dont) it can be weeks before the paint reaches maximum hardness. You can speed this up by parking in a warm area as the heat helps catalyze the paint (why most booths are heated)
                    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Well what he told me is he used fast hardener and it should be fully cured withen a couple days. I'll wait till friday to play it safe. Also. What kind of soap should I use? Theres pearl in the blue I don't know if that means anything, if I should use a special soap, etc . What do you recommend on a fresh paint job.
                      Thanks

Comment

Did he wash or polish it before he gave it back? You can wash it dude, no problem.

Use Meguiar's #00 Hi-Tech Wash... but you can also use Gold Class or Soft Gel, regardless be gentle.
                        Use a brand new mitt and don't let it touch the ground.
                        If you MUST take it to a high pressure wash, keep the wand at least 2 feet away, and don't use the car wash brush AT ALL unless you want ridiculous spiderwebs.

I wouldn't wax it for 90 days if it's base/clear. I'd wash it now, and if you find that you have any serious scratches, take it back to the painter and ask him if he minds glazing (polishing) it a little. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by J308 View Post
                          Did he wash or polish it before he gave it back? You can wash it dude, no problem.

Use Meguiar's #00 Hi-Tech Wash... but you can also use Gold Class or Soft Gel, regardless be gentle.
                          Use a brand new mitt and don't let it touch the ground.
                          If you MUST take it to a high pressure wash, keep the wand at least 2 feet away, and don't use the car wash brush AT ALL unless you want ridiculous spiderwebs.

I wouldn't wax it for 90 days if it's base/clear. I'd wash it now, and if you find that you have any serious scratches, take it back to the painter and ask him if he minds glazing (polishing) it a little. No big deal.
                          Not sure if he did. Cool i have a pressure washer. Just need a mitt and soap. Thanks for the help. Ill be taking some pics within the next hour. stay posted!

Comment

He didn't mean pressure washer. Atleast I hope not

I think he was refering to the "DIY car wash" places where they have high powered hoses. Not pressure washers...and it's been more than an houuur.

Comment

Well my damn camera battery was 100% dead so had to take iphone 4 pics before it got dark. here ya go. i have fogs just need bolts to bolt them on. yes. theres a couple of dents. small. im getting it fixed next week. Im very happy with it anyways. Looks a lot better in person.

Comment

Good from a far...

Imo, the trim needs to be black, ya need 10-15mm spacers, and come down a bit. As long as you like it, enjoy it.

COTM

Comment

Working...
                                X