Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I replace early model airdam with late model valence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I replace early model airdam with late model valence?

Hi, pretty new here.
    So I am trying to remove my 87's air dam so I can put on this late model valence. I haven't jacked it up yet but from what I've looked at, all I see are two alen wrench screws on both sides attaching the air dam to the bumper.
    Also, I have tucked bumpers which so far looks like it might get in the way(?)

My air dam:

My valence:

Thank you
    -Trevor
    2001 740i - daily
    1987 528e - project
    1987 325e - sold

if u dont like my post click here

that valance will accept plastic bumpers. the dbs will not be a fit without modification.

unbolt the old valance, bolt new one on.
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

unbolt metal bumper

unbolt old valence

cut off both tow hooks (yes, there is no way around this)

bolt on new valance

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

+1 and plastic bumper while you are at it. I just did this couple days ago...

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        unbolt metal bumper

unbolt old valence

bolt on new valance

Comment

Late model diving boards will fit it fine with no mods, ask me how i know. But yes, kiss your tow hooks good bye.

Comment

thank you all for the help!
            2001 740i - daily
            1987 528e - project
            1987 325e - sold

Comment

will having tucked bumpers make this an issue? just spend 2 hour under the front end of my car cluelessly looking for the metal bumper hardware. from what I've read it is just 2 alen wrench screws?
              Last edited by ttrreevvoorr; 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM.
              2001 740i - daily
              1987 528e - project
              1987 325e - sold

Comment

Untuck the bumpers and look up from underneath. You'll see the bumper is attaced on both sides with a bracket. The bracket attaches to the bumper with two nuts per side. I think they're 13mm

Comment

^This. Some cars have acess holes cut into the underside of the bumper so you can just pull the bumper off the shocks, others (like mine) don't. So you have to just unbolt the shocks and bumper as one unit, which is impossible with the bumper tucked.

Comment

If you have the early style bumper which doesn't use the allen bolts, youll have to make cut outs in the bottom of your bumper so you can fit a wrench up there.

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                      If you have the early style bumper which doesn't use the allen bolts, youll have to make cut outs in the bottom of your bumper so you can fit a wrench up there.
                      No need to cut. Just untuck your bumper and you'll be able to reach up there.

Comment

unbolt metal bumper

unbolt old valence

if you're retaining the rubber 'modesty strip' around the bumper, drill a bunch of holes
                        for bolts for that, and fit it.

bolt on new valance
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                        X