No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just remember the fitment not being too great, I've seen several of them up close. They fit fine if you want to leave it bare CF (can't tell that much around the edges), but it had a pretty big bow on one side and one of the corners dipped in near the windshield. It wouldn't be suitable for painting.

do they even make them anymore? they were from quite a while ago.

my MA Shaw hood is almost 10 years old now. The only issues I had were inside the hood due to the heat from the headers, so I finally added a heat shield. Also put some lightweight foam pieces on it to cut down the noise a little bit. from the outside, you can't tell it's aftermarket at all (except not having the windshield sprayers).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I just remember the fitment not being too great, I've seen several of them up close. They fit fine if you want to leave it bare CF (can't tell that much around the edges), but it had a pretty big bow on one side and one of the corners dipped in near the windshield. It wouldn't be suitable for painting.

do they even make them anymore? they were from quite a while ago.

my MA Shaw hood is almost 10 years old now. The only issues I had were inside the hood due to the heat from the headers, so I finally added a heat shield. Also put some lightweight foam pieces on it to cut down the noise a little bit. from the outside, you can't tell it's aftermarket at all (except not having the windshield sprayers).

Gotcha.
      I did have my body guy install it. So I'm sure it wasn't a direct fit out of the box.
      He's a very skilled dude.
      Only guy I've ever seen who was able to perfectly match the factory Zinno paint job. (Difficult to do because of the Mercury content in the paint back then)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I've installed some VIS parts on other cars, and I agree with Nando. The fitment is pretty good but nothing like OEM, plus they're not dry carbon. I'm not shooting down your choice in hoods, but if it's not dry carbon then it's basically a show piece that happens to be a bit lighter than stock.

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I don't think their weight on the stock hood is that far off - 24kg is 53lbs. It's probably close to that with that huge noise insulation pad. A full CF, high quality hood certainly could weigh as little as 9lbs - mine is about 10lbs. the box it came in weighed more than the hood. :p
        Factory hoods are 38lbs according to this thread, which is why I said their weights are off a bit
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
          I've installed some VIS parts on other cars, and I agree with Nando. The fitment is pretty good but nothing like OEM, plus they're not dry carbon. I'm not shooting down your choice in hoods, but if it's not dry carbon then it's basically a show piece that happens to be a bit lighter than stock.

Factory hoods are 38lbs according to this thread, which is why I said their weights are off a bit

Gotcha.
          I could care less about looks honestly.
          I'm all about function. It's a track car.
          A lightweight lift-off hood takes weight off the front axle of my car and makes it much easier to work in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I always had ridiculously good success with seibon. I remember that used to make them for e30s, but I haven't seen any availablein a long time. VIS is hit or miss. Usually they fit really well with the exception of in the corners.

I'm not a huge fan of the look anymore, so I'd paint a CF hood. I'm with berlow in the fact that I'd rather have it for performance than looks..so a little body working it wouldn't piss me off since it'd get painted anyways
            -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
            -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Any more thoughts on CF hoods? What are the current decent options out there? I'm in the market. Don't really care about anything but function/weight. If there's a good fiberglass option out there I'd consider it too.

Someone backed into my car while parked on the street and didn't leave a note. Crunched the hood. I have full insurance coverage so I'm getting a $1200 check and I'd like to replace it with something lightweight to offset some of the added weight of the 24v swap.
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

I've seen only one Karbonius clearcoated CF hood in person an it was immaculate. They do it on special order. Their main business is with CF intakes and interior for the e46 and intakes for the V8 M3s. They make one of the best non-factory CSL intakes out there and are quite known for their work at that, so i'd say they're not shit at doing carbon things.

I have a Singer Carbon hood on my 02 Touring, it wasn't perfect and needed a lot of paint prep, but it has a great fit and the vent cutouts are spot-on.

Comment

is there any more information on what carbon fiber hoods are good? Currently looking into the idea and it would be nice to know how much i'm looking at.

Comment

I had a really early VIS carbon hood and it was garbage quality fitment but the weave looked good and was passable when not painted. I recently got a MA SHaw CF hood to replace it since I was going to paint it and wanted a lighter better fitting part. MA Shaw hood is noticibly lighter and fits way better. I think my body guy had to tweak a few things to make it perfect but you would really need to look to realize it isnt the stock hood.
                    e30sport.net
                    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                    X