wiper linkage - remove this rubber gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiper linkage - remove this rubber gasket

prepping car for some paint work. can anyone tell me how the hell I remove this gasket circled in red? It goes between the chassis and the wiper itself. I removed the 22mm nut and washer above but the rubber seems to be stuck

Does this require removal of the linkage itself?
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM.

I see nothing in red, but if your talking about th rubber bushings around the arm mounts in the cowl, then yes you need to drop the linkage to remove them.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

fixed

Comment

Yep, drop the linkage to remove the two of them. Its a bushing style gasket. I just replaced both of mine.
        I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
        2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
          Yep, drop the linkage to remove the two of them. Its a bushing style gasket. I just replaced both of mine.
          i've heard horror stories of removing the linkage but is dropping the linkage going to be just as bad?

Comment

yeah just pull it out, common wear item we stock them and just replace them for resprays or any work on the wipers.
            sigpic
            New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
            %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
              yeah just pull it out, common wear item we stock them and just replace them for resprays or any work on the wipers.
              so they can be pulled out and pressed back in without screwing with the linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                i've heard horror stories of removing the linkage but is dropping the linkage going to be just as bad?
                Not bad unless you need to remove it. Here, you do not. Just pull the heater cover panel off, unbolt the linkage bracket from the car chassis, unbolt the two nuts that the linkage bolts to on the cowl, and push the linkage down into the cowl. Remove the old gaskets and replace after paint.
                2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                  Not bad unless you need to remove it. Here, you do not. Just pull the heater cover panel off, unbolt the linkage bracket from the car chassis, unbolt the two nuts that the linkage bolts to on the cowl, and push the linkage down into the cowl. Remove the old gaskets and replace after paint.
                  are you referring to the cover that houses the blower motor?

Comment

Yes
                    2010 F650gs twin

Comment

That's the access to the bracket that bolts the linkage/motor assembly to the car chassis.
                      2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                        so they can be pulled out and pressed back in without screwing with the linkage?
                        Correct.

I believe he is referring to the damper rings (#14) and you do not need to do anything with the linkage to remove them. If they dont just crumble and fall apart, there is a dowel (ring #13) under the washer that separates the damper from the wiper shaft. The ring prevents the damper from deforming so just slide it up and off so you can compress the damper off the cowl. It has a groove around it so on reinstall put a bit of dielectric grease in the groove, put the damper on the cowl THEN put the dowel ring back. It takes 5 min per side.

I replace them on all my cars (just ordered a pair today at the dealer) since they always seem to be original and falling apart. This allows the spindles to wobble putting excess strain in the wiper motor resulting in its early demise.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          I believe he is referring to the damper rings (#14) and you do not need to do anything with the linkage to remove them. If they dont just crumble and fall apart, there is a dowel (ring #13) under the washer that separates the damper from the wiper shaft. The ring prevents the damper from deforming so just slide it up and off so you can compress the damper off the cowl. It has a groove around it so on reinstall put a bit of dielectric grease in the groove THEN put the dowel ring back.

I replace them on all my cars (just ordered a pair today at the dealer) since they always seem to be original and falling apart. This allows the spindles to wobble putting excess strain in the wiper motor resulting in its early demise.
                          ding ding ding. but how do i slide the dowel off

Comment

Small needle nose pliers. The ring is just sitting there so not much holding it...and dont crush its little guts.

My other tidbit for today is that the black plastic cowl vents which are ALWAYS UGLY, are $13 per side from a friendly dealer
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                            X