Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Later model rears arches on early model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Later model rears arches on early model?

Okay so i have an 84 325e that I'm restoring, i.e engine swap, suspension, fixing all the rust and eventually repainting ect..
    One area that needs attention is my rear arches, as you can kind of see in the picture they are pretty rusted out. (it doesnt look like it in the picture because black paint was sprayed on the arches,but it has rusted right though to inside my trunk). It's like that on both sides

So I'm gonna purchase new rear side panels for both sides, #1 in the diagram from realoem and cut out the old metal and weld in new stuff.

I want to do a plastic bumper swap, so since I'm going to be replacing the rear side panels on both sides anyways, should i replace them with the late model arches? Is this even possible? If if would line up with the rest of the car then i could attach the rear plastic bumper with out modifying it.
    Let me know if this will even work, If it would just look stupid, or if I'm just a dumb ass.

thanks!
    Feedback
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=270560

you would have to replace the rear panel too because your rear quarters would now be the size for the late model 3-tier tails. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but it seems like a lot of work.

Comment

Hmm thats true, I like the smaller early model lights better. It would probably just be easier to modify the rear bumper. Thanks!
      Feedback

Comment

You'd also need the inner wheel wells. Much easier to modify the bumper then the whole rear of the car.

FYI, I bought a Sherman brand wheel arch from Rock Auto to fix similar rust on my passenger side. It was something ridiculous like $21 shipped. Fit just as well as the $300 OEM quarter panel I put on the drivers side, and was about 1/4 of the work. Just something to consider...
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          You'd also need the inner wheel wells. Much easier to modify the bumper then the whole rear of the car.

FYI, I bought a Sherman brand wheel arch from Rock Auto to fix similar rust on my passenger side. It was something ridiculous like $21 shipped. Fit just as well as the $300 OEM quarter panel I put on the drivers side, and was about 1/4 of the work. Just something to consider...
          I cant seem to find that replacement panel you mentioned, I may just be looking in the wrong areas.. do you know if they still have that wheel arch on the site?

Comment

Just buy an early vert

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

But early rear fenders are better.
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

well i may have solved my problem, i might be picking up another 84 for $200 with way less rust on the rear arches and the rust it does have are on areas like the fenders and doors but i have clean parts so i will just swap them over, also the floor pan is rust free and that's a big thing cause mine is like swiss cheese. I guess just scrap this shell?
                Feedback

Comment

Working...
                X