Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which comes first? Por15 or Bondo/body filler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which comes first? Por15 or Bondo/body filler?

Hey there,

I am currently shaving an engine bay, and I am getting to the point of putting some body filler into the ground down welds and whatnot.

On the por 15 can, it says apply to direct metal. On the bondo/body filler it says the same thing, sand down past primer/paint and apply to direct metal.

My question is, what do you guys use? I definately have a lot of spots to putty up, but do not want to have por 15 not stick to the putty, or the opposite, spray the por first and not have the bondo stay.

Thanks in advance!

I'd call the makers of the POR-15. From what I've read on it I don't believe it will stick to bondo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Spray por, scuff up, then putty?
      Swanny!
      SUCKERS.

Comment

I know it's common practice for hot rod guys to put filler over epoxy primer and then primer again. I'd contact POR directly and see if filler will stick to scuffed up POR.
        My Eta Build Thread

Comment

POR is a rust killer that should go on bare metal. I have also use it as a resin with fibreglass cloth to repair my wheel well (posted in my build thread) so I would be very surprised if bondo doesnt stick to it as long as its rough sanded so the bondo can bite to it
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Why are you using por15?

If you have good clean metal, its unnecessary. Just clean the metal, apply filler, prime and paint. Just like all other body work.

If its rusty metal......fix it.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Por15 on bondo isn't going to do anything. Like Todd said it needs to be applied on bare rusty metal
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

If it's not rusty I wouldn't bother with the Por. Use a decent filler and prime everything with a dtm epoxy and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                X