'88 bumper conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 bumper conversion?

Ok, so in short, I have an '88 vert. (Im fairly new here) and I FINALLY finished most of the mechanical work I needed. Now its time for looks.

I wanna start with the bumper... How do I go about changing it?

I currently have the Metal BarClick image for larger version

Name:	0e4b38259aa056840f945923b34f6bf8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	7244479(Picture uploaded I hope)

ANd I wanted to go more toward something along the lines of these

And IF they are possible, where would be the best place to get them??

Thanks to everybody in advance.

you can change them. there are tons of threads about this already. check them out with the search function. i suggest looking for "bumper swap". if you have any q's after that, get back to us.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

-The first pic you posted is a car with Euro bumpers. See info below.

-The 2nd pic is a car with tucked diving board (your current bumper, just pushed in) and a late model valance (the lower part).
      The late model valance will bolt right on, but you have to cut off your tow hook. Obviously, you'd have to find on in the same color, or have it painted.
      See this for warnings on tucking your diving boards: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=199066

For Euro bumpers:
      -You can get them on ebay, the FS ads here, criagslist, etc.
      -Make sure you get a set that's not bent
      -You are best off running the Euro valance (the car in that pic has this). Your early US valance works, but you'll be able to see the square cut outs in it.
      -The Euro front bumper bolts right on, but the turn signal wiring needs to be modified (connectors are different).
      -The Euro rear bumper bolts right on, but you have to punch out 2 holes they epoxied over at the factory, and you'll have to plug up the holes for the US bumper trim. You also have to cut off the side trim brackets, as they will be visible without the US bumpers. The holes for the US bumper shocks are also visible and should be covered over with painted covers if you want things to look nice.

There's info all over the place. But if you have specific questions, I can help out with that.
      -Nick
      sigpic
      1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Here's what it looks like when you tuck and paint the chrome and black trim to match with a late model fascia. Short of late model plastic bumpers and euro trim... this is the only way to fly a tucked bumper. IMHO of course.

"A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

Will euro bumpers even fit on an 88? They are basically a late model chassis with early model bumpers, so I'm sure if euros will work.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            Will euro bumpers even fit on an 88? They are basically a late model chassis with early model bumpers, so I'm sure if euros will work.
            nope.
            2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
            (Daily Driver)
            Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
            KW V2 Coilovers
            VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Yes they will fit.
              sigpic
              323i MTEC1
              Z3 coupe
              E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
                -The first pic you posted is a car with Euro bumpers. See info below.

-The 2nd pic is a car with tucked diving board (your current bumper, just pushed in) and a late model valance (the lower part).
                The late model valance will bolt right on, but you have to cut off your tow hook. Obviously, you'd have to find on in the same color, or have it painted.
                See this for warnings on tucking your diving boards: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=199066

For Euro bumpers:
                -You can get them on ebay, the FS ads here, criagslist, etc.
                -Make sure you get a set that's not bent
                -You are best off running the Euro valance (the car in that pic has this). Your early US valance works, but you'll be able to see the square cut outs in it.
                -The Euro front bumper bolts right on, but the turn signal wiring needs to be modified (connectors are different).
                -The Euro rear bumper bolts right on, but you have to punch out 2 holes they epoxied over at the factory, and you'll have to plug up the holes for the US bumper trim. You also have to cut off the side trim brackets, as they will be visible without the US bumpers. The holes for the US bumper shocks are also visible and should be covered over with painted covers if you want things to look nice.

There's info all over the place. But if you have specific questions, I can help out with that.

My biggest thing is that I don't really car about the metal bar, I care more about under that. Like the fog light area. You see how my fog lights are basically just bolted on, and those are molded in? Is that like an early vs. late model thing or a different bumper option? And can THAT be done without many issues?

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Thanks to everybody for your input!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

"Bumper swap" search. Easiest on the verts.

Find what you like and go for it. You post two different routes like mentioned above.
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by dariel1013 View Post
                      My biggest thing is that I don't really car about the metal bar, I care more about under that. Like the fog light area. You see how my fog lights are basically just bolted on, and those are molded in? Is that like an early vs. late model thing or a different bumper option? And can THAT be done without many issues?

Sent from my iPhone
                      You're talking about the valance. That's the part under the bumper. There are early model front plastic "spoilers" (some may call them valances) you can buy that go right over your stock metal valance.

The easiest and most readily available would be the early model is/es spoiler, also known as the "cow plow", or "cow catcher". This would bolt right onto your car...

You can make a late model valance work, and there are a lot of other options that you may see floating around (Zender, ACS, Mtech 1, etc.).
                      -Nick
                      sigpic
                      1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                        nope.
                        He has a vert, so yes they will fit. He just needs to get the endcaps on the rear bumper for a convertible.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                          He has a vert, so yes they will fit. He just needs to get the endcaps on the rear bumper for a convertible.

End caps? What exactly are those? Lol o_O

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by dariel1013 View Post
                            End caps? What exactly are those? Lol o_O

Sent from my iPhone

Exactly that. Black trip caps on the end of the bumper.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Hello, sorry to bring an old post up but it seems '88's haven't been covered as well as most believe.

Specifically, what parts are needed exactly to do a plastic bumpers conversion onto an 88 sedan that already has a newer valence?
                              Can these parts be sourced from a vert that is 89+?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X