Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on repainting in something other than factory color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on repainting in something other than factory color?

Quick background - '89 Zinno coupe. IX, so fender flares, etc. Natural interior.

Anyway. Needs some body work and complete repaint. No rust but has lots of dings, dents and scratches. Have a good shop I am planning on taking it to but otherwise never had experience repainting a whole car before.

I struggle with wanting to be a purist here but since red would've never been my first choice I'm just curious if it's generally considered poor form to paint it a totally different color.

FWIW - I am a big fan of the Zobelbraun or Delphin metallics although I feel like Zobelbraun would probably pair better with the Natural interior.

Remember if you paint it a completely different color you should do the engine bay so it matchesn unless you want a zinno engine bay and a Zobelbraun car (your chose). All the windows, doors, truck, ect need to come off so everywhere you see will be the same color and its a good way to check for rust around the window frames. My car came as schwarz but when I repainted it, I had it painted BMW 475 Black Sapphire Metallic, so since it was still black I didnt need to do the engine bay. Of course it is kind of a show quality paint job (never goes to shows).

Red is the most expensive color to repaint. The color I choose was ~$550 for a gallon of PPG Global.

Feedback Thread

Comment

See, this is what I need to hear. Thanks.

Your point about the engine bay totally slipped my thinking and would probably bother me after the fact.

Hmm...

Comment

Metallic Root Beer!

My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Zinno looks great repainted. Just keep it the stock color.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

keep it red or a color in the same area... like henna. :)

Comment

just so you know, some shops wont even do a color change. some shops wont even do an overall. the cost and time go way up when you do jams, door and trunk. especially if you have to do the flares and stuff. I had really good success with urekem products for cheap and application
              Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

If s shop is not willing to do a color change with a paying customer, I'd stay away from them. Sounds as if they are more focused on the average collision repair work.

Would be interesting to know why?
                Continuous For Sale Thread
                323i s50

Comment

if you have ever done one you will find out quickly. its incredibly time consuming to do a good job, its ridiculous time for a great job. every nook and cranny has to masked properly. look u the cost of materials. to do an over all with minor body work its probably $200 just for sandpaper, tape paper, chemicals. add up the paint $200 for cheap stuff or up to $1000 for good stuff and even higher for show cars. ever wet sand a car 3 times? and then clear it again and do it again? overalls are shitty

but you are right, concentrate on money making jobs. we need to stay in business somehow. when I was in business, I had to stop doing go fast work because its hard to make the bills working on wiring and welding for straight time when I can bill out my labor doing maintenance and regular repair work
                  Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Yea, sandpaper is VERY expensive, especially the more fine of a grit. 6" DA 600 grit 40 sheets is like $70 or even 100 sheets of 400 is over $100. 1 gallon of BMW 475 Black Sapphire Metallic of PPG Global was a smidge over $550. Then you have the reducer, hardner, primer, clear coat ect. A decent paint job will sky rocket in price very fast. I found that out real quick and I did help a lot, every step of the way.

Of course I did do a full strip of paint down to the metal...

But how else do you expect a show quality paint job to happen...That reflection tho...

Before final assembly...
                    Last edited by 88BlackS-ETA; 04-12-2016, 08:27 PM.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 88BlackS-ETA View Post
                      Yea, sandpaper is VERY expensive, especially the more fine of a grit. 6" DA 600 grit 40 sheets is like $70 or even 100 sheets of 400 is over $100. 1 gallon of BMW 475 Black Sapphire Metallic of PPG Global was a smidge over $550. Then you have the reducer, hardner, primer, clear coat ect. A decent paint job will sky rocket in price very fast. I found that out real quick and I did help a lot, every step of the way.

Of course I did do a full strip of paint down to the metal...

But how else do you expect a show quality paint job to happen...That reflection tho...

Before final assembly...
                      Holy hell! That is deep and clear. Amazing job!
                      F80 M3 Alpine
                      E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                      E28 Blackish 535i
                      E21 Silver 320i
                      Disco1 98 4.6
                      ~~~~~~
                      E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                      E30 325i SOLD
                      E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                      E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                      sigpic

Comment