Help reattaching rear trunk lid emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help reattaching rear trunk lid emblem

I'm just now getting around to reattaching the "325ix" emblem on the rear trunk lid of my 91 e30. It came with the car, but not attached.

I think I have the "how to" covered. A quick search shows 3M makes a product called VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape that should work great, but anyone have any advice?

Also I'm wondering where Exactly to put this emblem. The car had been painted when I bought it and the emblem left off. So I'm wondering if someone can help me with the OEM location. exactly where it goes, how far the IX is from the 325, Etc. Yes I might be over-thinking it but I would like it to be as close to OEM as possible. I've been looking at pictures trying to find a good clean shot of just the emblem and the lid.

Picture here for no good reason :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just buy new ones if they're used - they come with a special backing that you heat up to stick them on the car. I have the instructions on how to mount them somewhere. I'll post them up if I can find them.

edit: I thought it was more recent, but I put a new badge on mine in 2012. I know I have the instructions somewhere, but not on this computer - I'll have to dig around on my laptops to find them.

here's a picture of mine:
    Last edited by nando; 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

to the rescue!

I marked and measured mine with painters tape, which was pretty easy. I used a heat gun I got from an electronics shop on mine, but a hair dryer would probably work too.

I also have an infrared thermometer that I used to get it to the right temperature. Wear oven mitts or gloves, it gets hot..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I marked and measured mine with painters tape, which was pretty easy. I used a heat gun I got from an electronics shop on mine, but a hair dryer would probably work too.
          Yep me too, and I used a hair dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I'd just buy new ones if they're used - they come with a special backing that you heat up to stick them on the car. I have the instructions on how to mount them somewhere. I'll post them up if I can find them.

edit: I thought it was more recent, but I put a new badge on mine in 2012. I know I have the instructions somewhere, but not on this computer - I'll have to dig around on my laptops to find them.

here's a picture of mine:

Thanks guys, a quick search and I found a set of them, if I can get them here before the Vintage I'll get new- otherwise I'll use what I have. Thanks for the specs agent that's exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

:up:

Comment

Working...
              X