X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• td325ic
    replied
    Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
    Allright, so where do you get this stuff?
    I imagine at some Marine store. We have plenty of those down here, as we're a half hour from the coast...
    Otherwise, the same rules apply for this paint and the rustoleum?
    You can get online. Do a search for it, I know some guys purchased it off a seller on ebay.

West Marine carries it also and they have alot of retail stores.

There are some techniques to applying it, so you should definitely read part2 of the moparts thread and do what they recommend.

Basically the gist, is that you paint it straight from the can or thin it slightly preferably with Interlux '333 Brushing liquid' or mineral spirits. After you do a coat wait 5 - 10 min, then use a foam tipped brush and do light strokes to pop any bubbles and help level the surface.

Originally posted by joshh View Post
    Brightside says you need a primer and will not work below the water line....in other words, it's not as durable.
    I'm sure it's recommended to use a primer with brightside, but I believe a number of guys on moparts are getting good results without one.

"Marq" on moparts did a lot of research on it and is the main guy that first started using the brightside paint on moparts. Anyway, it's been holding up really well for him, has been durable and he believes it'll last for some time to come. How it compares to a rustoleum roller job for longevity is not really known yet, but it should hold up well.

Here are some posts of his worth reading regarding durability:

June 29
    July 17
    Aug 6
    Aug 24
    Sep 13
    Oct 1
    Oct 5
    Oct 6
    Nov 6
    Nov 13
    Dec 24
    Last edited by td325ic; 12-24-2006, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• joshh
    replied
    Brightside says you need a primer and will not work below the water line....in other words, it's not as durable.

Leave a comment:

• ldsbeaker
    replied
    Allright, so where do you get this stuff?
    I imagine at some Marine store. We have plenty of those down here, as we're a half hour from the coast...
    Otherwise, the same rules apply for this paint and the rustoleum?

Leave a comment:

• td325ic
    replied
    another impressive pic from aussie driver using Brightside marine paint. After wetsand and polish:

Those of you wondering about colors...here's the colors available for Interlux's Brightside:

Last edited by td325ic; 12-24-2006, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• td325ic
    replied
    Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
    Yeah, that's hardcore. That's alot of sanding!!
    The guys on the moparts forum are using the marine paint called "Brightside" by Interlux. This is WITHOUT any wetsanding yet. Comes out with a much better initial gloss then rustoleum and requires fewer coats.

Here are pics from Exit1965 on moparts, I believe this is only 1 or 2 coats and no sanding yet.

Take a look at Exit1965's posts, and the other posts I mentioned above. I think you should definitely give the Brightside marine paint a try on your future roller projects.

Leave a comment:

• Garageaholic
    replied
    Yeah, that's hardcore. That's alot of sanding!!

Leave a comment:

• M42Technik
    replied
    Originally posted by td325ic View Post
    You guys interested in doing a roller paint job might want to check out part 2 of the original moparts thread:

Paint job on a budget Part 2: Aussie Driver's black miata

Seems the paint getting the best results is Interlux "Brightside" boat paint. Rolls out with a very high gloss and is not necessary to thin with mineral spirits, though a little thinning will help it level better.

For Pictures check out these posts by: Aussie Driver, Exit1965, MontanaMan, and Marq

They are starting to get some pretty impressive results, I may try this on my truck.
    Yes, check out those links there man, thats how to get a real polish to it...

Leave a comment:

• joshh
    replied
    Now that's impressive.
    That paint will also hold up better than car paint as well.

Leave a comment:

• M42Technik
    replied
    Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
    ^^STFU!! Really??
    Yeah dude, check it here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...ue#Post3071935

Post #14 on this thread, I just hotlinked the pictures:

He used some other techniques to make it even better, amazing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ANDRÜ
    replied
    Dang, looks pretty nice!

Leave a comment:

• ldsbeaker
    replied
    ^^STFU!! Really??

Leave a comment:

• M42Technik
    replied
    Damn.

Thats a roller paintjob.

Leave a comment:

• O 16581 72452 5
    replied
    Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
    If i were you, i'd do the spoiler along with the trunk. you could always route the stripes along the other corner of the trunk (the forward corner of the trunk NOT affected by the spoiler) If you want to include the spoiler, then do what i did with the spoiler off, then put the spoiler on to test fit it. Tape where the stripes would belong, remove the spoiler and paint it alone. Then re-install everything.

My 2c
    Yeah, we'll see when the time comes, it'd look a little weird in one of those corners IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Garageaholic
    replied
    If i were you, i'd do the spoiler along with the trunk. you could always route the stripes along the other corner of the trunk (the forward corner of the trunk NOT affected by the spoiler) If you want to include the spoiler, then do what i did with the spoiler off, then put the spoiler on to test fit it. Tape where the stripes would belong, remove the spoiler and paint it alone. Then re-install everything.

My 2c

Leave a comment:

• O 16581 72452 5
    replied
    Costs $1.50 to find out, i take paypal. ;)

I'm painting the car hopefully over Christmas, i'll rattle can the graphics most likely. Not sure how i'm going to do it, including the stock spoiler will be a PITA, i'm not sure if i should remove it and do the whole corner of the trunk and place the spoiler over it ungraphiced Or just do it in the badge area under the spoiler.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X